BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new to this website as well as a proud new owner of a 2000 K1200LTC so I will probably be asking a lot of dumb questions. Here's my first one: Is the Clock and the Gear indicator supposed to be illuminated at night? The Speedometer and Tach are lit just fine, but the clock and gear indicator are not lit. By the way, is there any way to adjust brightness of Speedometer light?

Thanks!

Randy :confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
i dun think it is possible to adjust the illum of the bulbs.. however, maybe changing to LED may help... but there are many bulbs behind the dash and i am still wondering how to go about it and specs/ colour of the bulbs to purchase.... another concern is the angle of coverage by LED is narrower....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Randy, Yes, it should be illuminated. Your bulb is no doubt out. Not an easy thing to change either! Windshield, front fairing, stingray, etc. has to come off to get to it!

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
It's not hard to fix and while you are doing it, you can increase the amount of light by going from what i think is about 1 volt/watt/whatever! to 2-3. I did that quite a while ago and there are a few pieces of plastic to remove, but it is worth it.

Search the forum on removing the front nose and with some gentile pulling, each bulb can be removed and replaced. There are several discussions here on replacing the bulbs.

Check below for similar threads too.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
windshield, upper dash cover are all that NEED to be removed. Get a pair of long hemostats (roach clips) and you can pull the rubber bulb holders from the back of the speedometer. if you do go to LED's, the orientation of the bulb +/- does matter, so check before you button it all up... (ask me how I know.. lol)

I will add, that there may (I can not recall) not be a bulb directly above (on) the Clock and the gear. Much of the lighting pattern relies on bleed over from other bulbs. I reckon, those cheap German bastards thought they were saving us a few, buy spreading out the light pattern...

And no.. there is not a way to adjust the brightness.

·
Registered
71 Posts
rblackburn69 said:
By the way, is there any way to adjust brightness of Speedometer light?

Randy :confused:
I rode a '95 Concours before the current LT. The guy who owned it before me had put a knob on the dash to brighten/dim the panel lights. He had all of them on the same knob, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to only wire it into whatever lights you prefer.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
biknut said:
I rode a '95 Concours before the current LT. The guy who owned it before me had put a knob on the dash to brighten/dim the panel lights. He had all of them on the same knob, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to only wire it into whatever lights you prefer.
That would take a lot of effort. Splicing the individual leads from the bulbs to a dimmer and back? Anythings possible, but there is not an OEM way to dim the dash.

the only light I remember being a PITA was the yellow "cruise". finally put a black piece of tap over that rat bastard... :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
As long as your Glock is accessible you don't need it to be illuminated.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
SuperBrightLEDs.com (no affiliation)

I used the three-headed LED unit. Worked great! Also used RED for instruments.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Randy,

As it is a pain in the neck to remove the screen and dash trim, I suggest that you replace all the bulbs at the same time. Test each one before you push it back into its housing. Do one at a time so you don't loose the position of each globe.

I used a little "rubber" grease to ease the globe moulding back into its housing as it was hard to pull them out. I was concerned of damaging the rubber moulding. The grease is available at any auto parts store. Good for grommets etc.

Barry

·
Registered
152 Posts
>>By the way, is there any way to adjust brightness of Speedometer light?<<

A friend of mine complained about his on a Honda. I took a piece of light gray tint film, had it laying in the shop, cut it to fit, and he said it is exactly what he wanted....ya might try that?

He said he even likes it more in daylight...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.