BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Someone earlier posted that only a judge will figure this one out. They may be right. To read the OK statues I went to the Oklahoma State Courts Network. The link is:

OCIS Document Index

Then I went to Article 6 - Motorcycles, in Chapter 12. Notice how this Article specifically references Motorcycles only. Section 12-602 has the following language:

C. Subject to subsections A and B of this section, a motorcycle may be equipped with, and an operator of a motorcycle may use, the following auxiliary lighting:
1. Standard bulb running lights; or
2. Light-emitting diode pods and strips.
D. Lighting under subsection C of this section shall be:
1. Nonblinking;
2. Nonflashing;
3. Nonoscillating; and
4. Directed toward the engine and the drive train of the motorcycle to prevent interference with the driver's operation of the vehicle.

There is no mention of fog lights, colors, etc. There is no reference in this section to any other sections of the motor vehicle code.

Now what? :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The company that I drove for in the 60's trained us to think of collisions as either PREVENTABLE or NON PREVENTABLE. There really are very few collisions that are NON PREVENTABLE. There are lots of times inattentive drivers do things that will result in a collision. There are aggresive drivers that do things that can cause a collision. Eyes up looking far down the road, constant mirror rotation, following no closer than 2 seconds behind, a few things we were taught. Collisions cost time and money regardless of who is a fault.

One thing that really bugs me and my old eyes are tinted windows, the only way you can tell if someone sees you is IF you make eye contact and you cannot see even if there is anyone in a lot of cars anymore I assume that I am NOT seen unless I make eye contact, especially on the bike.

We see with our brains, if you doubt it how often does your wife, girl friend accuse you of not listening, you hear with your brain, it interprets everything and decides what is important. If a driver is preoccupied with a device or fuming about a fight with a spouse or child they may not see you regardless of bright lights horns or bright colours. If it makes you feel safe to have those things, good, but dead is dead and you can be dead right.

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
We see with our brains, if you doubt it how often does your wife -- accuse you of not listening, you hear with your brain,
Happened to me. :)

Reactions: SpinDog and wethead

·
Registered
827 Posts
Now what? :)
I tell you what: from the beginning of this story it sounded like a rookie cop trying to exert his prowess over a motorcycle rider. Maybe he didn't have nothing to do that day and was bored, maybe his wife said no to you know what, maybe "happiness is a warm gun" for him.

I can't imagine a cop wasting his time making that kind of traffic stop. Not good cops anyway. This guy was a clown with a badge.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, if it's a proton war it's most definitely a particle (though particle/wave duality still applies). If you mean a PHOTON war, then it's generally accepted that it would be a wave since any particle is excluded from moving at the speed of light. :grin:
Protons might literally fry their retinas. That wouldn't be good.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in California and several of the police departments run the Clearwater lights with the yellow lenses. You might want to contact Clearwater at 916-852-7029 and ask them for some help.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
492 Posts
JD,
the trick is to NEVER listen to them; then they don't know there is no difference when you are or when you are not.:grin:
It's even easier with me. I have hearing aides, so I obviously have issues. If she said something and I didn't pay attention, I can always say "what? I didn't hear you." So I have an excuse. :grin:

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's even easier with me. I have hearing aides, so I obviously have issues. If she said something and I didn't pay attention, I can always say "what? I didn't hear you." So I have an excuse. :grin:
Although I don't wear hearing aids, I do the same, but that's when I get into trouble. :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Although I don't wear hearing aids, I do the same, but that's when I get into trouble. :D

If you guys were a little more 'manly' you would just put these on when she gets started

Attachments

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Not to bring up an old post but it is worth mentioning. Being seen is the single most common element in avoiding auto vs. mc accidents. Yes people may see you and think they can make it anyways but that same idiot will do the same maneuver with cars. There is a great read out there called the HURT report - no pun intended. Worth a read as it explains what motorcyclists can look out for. I have aux lighting on both my RT and my Triumph Tiger - both have combinations of yellow and clear lights. On the Tiger the yellow lights are on all the time. When I'm off road at night I turn on the monster driving lights - the lights on the Tiger are Denalis. On the RT I have the larger yellow lights under the mirrors and the clear on the forks down lower. Those are both Clearwater lights. I, like others have said here, absolutely notice that people see me coming the other way. I've had this set up since 2007 on the BMW and 2016 on the Tiger and have never had anyone flash me because of the lights. That's not to say they didn't bother them but I think if it were an issue I would have many cars flashing me. That being said, with all that anyways, I had one old lady make a left in front of me, but I was able to brake in time to avoid a collision - she was ancient and I could tell by the way she was coming she was probably not going to stop. There was a car next to me that had to emergency brake as well so, sometimes you can do all you can do to be seen and still someone is going to try to ruin your day. Again as others have said, your number one piece of safety equipment is you - be attentive and listen to your instincts - assume no one can see - assume someone will turn in front of you. The #1 type of MC accident involves left turners. We spend tens of thousands of dollars on our bikes. The money for aux. lights is a drop in the bucket.

Reactions: davebullock

·
Registered
594 Posts
'Lopaca' last comment is brilliant! The money spent on aux lights is small compared to the added visibility we get. I have had one yellow/one white on the bikes for the past three years. The other day I got a text from a friend after I got to work and he said 'I could pick you out of the line of traffic on the other side of the highway with your obnoxious lights!' Exactly the reaction I hope for. 99% of my riding is daytime, so the yellow lens (Clearwater) stays on. If I do ride after dark, the lens comes off. Being seen is important.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts