BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

Today we have Part II of the complete Clearwater Suite test - the midsized Erica model. Tune in to see how they perform in the dark, and how they held up over years of commuting abuse!

-MKL

·
Registered
124 Posts
That video shows great roads to meet deers at night...if you are into deers.

Here is what I am waiting for from Clearwater Lights:

The same run/blink front signal module they make for the K16. Everytime I ask them when are you gonna have the one for the RT, the answer is: "in two months"....well sheetta, how many two-monthers are we talk'n bout?

Hello there Mr. Clearwater, the water is not so clear as when I can get that great product you promise me to run yellows in the front--with my turn signals.

I like Clearwater, not their prices, but their products. :wave

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yea Levy, that's the one they make for the K16. Duane from the K16 forum also make a really good I had on my K16.

But Clearwater is suppose to design one for the wetheads. My last contact with them, they said they were gonna try to have it ready for MOA, but then not, 2 to 3 more months after they come back...

I have always used the Genie Blinker to make my front signals run/blink. I have a friend who has installed them successfully with the canbus but I think he used a PDM60.

I thought I would wait for Clearwater and avail myself of their great engineering savvy to install a run/blink front module on my 16 RT.

Clearwater's electronic gadgetry is truly in a class of its own....as you well know.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I see. OK. I'm going to throw out a little blasphemy here for the sake of discussion. I post these vids all over, not just at BMW sites. We (BMW riders) can net the full benefit of the lights, which is actually the integration into the bike's CANbus system. THAT is where the value proposition is, in my opinion. It's more difficult to convince, say, an FJR Rider, or a Harley Rider, etc. to spend $900 on lights which are (for them).... just lights. You and I both know we can find some ridiculously powerful LEDs for less than half this amount, from brands which sell to the military so there is no question re durability either.

If Clearwater is a small company, which I believe it is, then resources are limited, by definition. Were I to run it, I would concentrate my efforts on getting the same functionality we (BMW Riders) enjoy via CANbus into other brands. BMW is a tiny, tiny segment of the market. BMW Riders generally rave about Clearwater - imagine if you could bring that functionality to much higher selling brands?

I'll test the Betsy too when it comes out, but I had RUN-N-Lites (if you remember those) on my oil Oilhead, and they were frankly more trouble than they were worth. While I've never been hassled by LEOs over my Clearwaters, I was routinely hassled about my running lights "on" all the time on the Oilhead - at least here in the NJ / NY area. I'm not really excited to go through that again.

-MKL

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Moshe - very good review, as always! If I may suggest, perhaps you should have more footage with longer period for the light output comparisons! I have a set of Krista already, and have no needs to see, but others might be interested to be able to compare what it is like (range/spread) with just the stock light, high/low, and again supplemented with the aux. lights!

Reactions: JNW003

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Yeah, you're right. If you remember I had quite a long comparison section with the Darla video from 2 weeks ago. I set up in the same spot for the Ericas, which is in a pitch-black public park near my house. Unfortunately this time, the cops came and began to hassle me about being there after dark, so when I showed them I was all set up to shoot, they say "make it fast." I didn't have much time this time! That's why I put the picture stills in showing low beam, Darlas, and then Ericas on multiple bikes.

-MKL

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
That is funny!!!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts