BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between rides I always wash the windscreen; after about six hours of riding it is noticeably dirtier than at the start of the ride.

I'm starting to plan multi-day trips with stays at hotels. How do you experienced riders keep the windscreen clean on long-distance travels?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
190 Posts
Steer around the bugs? :D
Joking. Seriously, nothing better then waxing the windshield before you start out and then put a bundle of Wally-Mart microfiber cleaning towels ($4 a bundle) and a spray bottle of distilled water in your suitcase. Cleaning the windshield is a good habit to get into, cleaning the headlight is even better. Nothing worse then massaging 2 week old cooked bug splat off of the headlight, not to mention the lost-light factor if you get enough splat. While we're on the subject, nothing wrong with something as simple as a stiff shoe shine brush to get up in those radiator coils real quick. Toilet brushes also work, but you might get a look if it's spotted in your travel trunk.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Simple and cheap

I carry a bath towel and 2 cloth diapers. Get towel dripping wet with warm water and hang on windshield for 5 minutes or more depending on number and type of bugs. Then slowly and gentlely work up and down until windshield is clean. On the back side just take the towel and work without much pressure until that is clean as well. Then take diaper and dry.

After done rinse towel. If towel or diaper are dropped will need good shake out and wash or thorough rinse. We do this every morning and if the bugs are good and fresh they come off very easily. Also helps if you can catch the windshield with dew on it as then everything is already soaked.

Correction on signature now 68,000+ miles

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
clean machine

That's funny cause I just got done cleaning my windshield out in front of my motel room.
I've found that if you ask most motels are happy to give you some of their old and soiled towels/washcloths.
I threw the washcloth in the trashcan half full of water and washed 'er up,
rinsed most of the dust of first, don't want any more scratches.
5 days on the road, 1800 miles (hey we're on vacation)
somewhere in Arkansas, headed for the Ozarks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hans is right...motel towels, and sometimes it's courteous if you ask them if you can use them too! :eek:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Pick up a spray can of plexus at any motorcycle shop (for plastic windshields), go to Walmart and get a bug pad (foam rubber with thin cotton webbing. Great for bugs) for $1.00. Bring with you some cotton rag or towel to clean.

I start off by using the plexus with the bug pad to remove bugs from the windshield. It works great. Then you can re-apply lightly and use a rag to remove it. This can be done anywhere. You can buy a large or small can.

I have been on several 2500 mile trips in the last few months and this works for me.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I prepare the windshield with a really good waxing before the trip and pack some liquid wax in a small bottle.
Then at the campsite or motel I ask for old towels I can use.
I get a trash can and put hot water on it (really hot), and then gently wash the windshield with hot water.
After one bucket normally it's clean. Every 2 or maximum 3 days I wax it again.
Did Alaska this summer on a 20 days trip and I had a clean windshield every day.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Keeping that Windscreen Clean

My motto is 'The best way to keep a clean a motorcycle is to not let it get very dirty'.

For the windscreen, forget the bundles of towels packed away taking up space in your bags and all those nice aerosol cans of cleaners. Just take part (a small part, maybe 8" X 8" square) piece of an old chamois, wet that at every gas stop and get rid of those bugs. A chamois is unbelieveable at cleaning bugs and grit and squeezing it right out. You can reuse it for months on end. The motel towels are 'the business' when you stop for the day, but don't wait until then to clean your windscreen.

Try the chamois, it works on wheels just the same.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
nath3an said:
Between rides I always wash the windscreen; after about six hours of riding it is noticeably dirtier than at the start of the ride.

I'm starting to plan multi-day trips with stays at hotels. How do you experienced riders keep the windscreen clean on long-distance travels?

Thanks,
Nathan
Here is my routine:
1. I have a very small spray bottle filled with Hydrogen Peroxide. I spray the windshield with that and it softens up all those little bug bodies.
2. I take any little bottle (the ones that you get shampoo in at any hotel work perfect) empty and clean it out. Fill it with blue Dawn.
3. I have a small micro fiber rag that I put just a drop of Dawn on and rub down the windshield.
4. Take a clean, dry, larger micro fiber cloth and rub off the soap and grime.
The soap works just like the expensive rags they sell at ski shops and keeps the fog away as well.

HTH,

·
Registered
190 Posts
lovetomotor said:
Just take part (a small part, maybe 8" X 8" square) piece of an old chamois, wet that at every gas stop and get rid of those bugs. A chamois is unbelieveable at cleaning bugs and grit and squeezing it right out.
A chamois with it's smooth surface will do more to scratch up your windshield then any rag. It might be tough enough to get bugs off but any grit whatsoever is dragged across the surface of the windshield, scoring it. If you find this doubtful, try wiping off a dry black car with a chamois and see what you get. Then try the same thing with a microfiber. Chamois are only made to use on clean surfaces.

·
Registered
438 Posts
"I've found that if you ask most motels are happy to give you some of their old and soiled towels/washcloths."

Same here. I also carry a very small plastic HD Bug Remover pump container. Spray it on, let set for a minute or two, then clean off with a washcloth soaked in hot water. Dry with towel.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
3M makes the microfiber towels. They are designed to be aggressive but not abrasive. Has to do with microreplication technology used in weaving the towel. I just use a little water and the bugs come off with no problem You can buy the towels at Target, Wally World and the like.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Don't the U.S. gas stations have buckets and water ?.
Every time I fill up I just pour a bit of water on the screen and dry it off with some paper tissue they normally have on the forecourt.
That way the screen never really gets dirty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My brother scratched the heck out of a windscreen using those paper towels at the gas station. Remember, paper towels are really made of very small wood fibers.

I use the hot towel trick and then give it a final once over with Plexus and a cloth diaper.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lemon Pledge

I have used Lemon Pledge for about 4 years with great results.
It takes care of the bug goo and waxes at the same time.
I do the body work with it too. I use a glass cleaner for the mirrors though.

Geo.

·
Registered
820 Posts
On my VFR800 i used to have a dririder tankbag with all sorts of goodies in it, they now live in one of my panniers, but i have a small spray bottle with some plastic cleaner in it and a few pieces of cheese cloth.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have used the microfiber cloth for a long time, but I put them in a zip lock bag wet that way they clean very well. At the end of the day can clean the Cycle and the windscreen and reclean the cloth in the room with the soap that thay have for you. Using the wast basket for the bucket of water work very well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Plexus and microfiber. DO NOT use the paper towels at the gas station. Don't ask me how I know. :-(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts