BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not real psycho about keeping my vehicles clean, but especially with my motorcycle, I like to be able to see if it springs a new leak. I got various types of goop on my new-to-me 99 LT which currently make that difficult. There are stains on the final drive housing (hopefully just from someone overfilling it) and on the front shocks that really shouldn't be there. I'm sure I can probably find some kind of nasty chemical to get rid of the stains. But what can I use that won't harm the parts of the bike I'd like to keep?

Thanks a bunch!
Andy

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,068 Posts
I wash mine once a week. I use cheap car wash soap and the only place I don't spray water is in the air intake tube.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
saddleman said:
I wash mine once a week. I use cheap car wash soap and the only place I don't spray water is in the air intake tube.
I inherited my stains from the previous owner. They're baked on pretty well. I've only tried fairly mild household cleaners so far without much luck. I'll give the car wash soap a shot but from the sounds of it, you don't give your bike much chance to accumulate any serious stains.
:bmw:

·
Registered
85 Posts
asteude said:
I'm not real psycho about keeping my vehicles clean, but especially with my motorcycle, I like to be able to see if it springs a new leak. I got various types of goop on my new-to-me 99 LT which currently make that difficult. There are stains on the final drive housing (hopefully just from someone overfilling it) and on the front shocks that really shouldn't be there. I'm sure I can probably find some kind of nasty chemical to get rid of the stains. But what can I use that won't harm the parts of the bike I'd like to keep?
Andy
Like Dave, I generally just soap it up, rinse it off, and blow it dry, The only other thing I do is to spray down the wheels, final drive, and swingarm with an "all wheel cleaner" (American Eagle or Mothers), sponge it up and rinse it off. It may help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CharlieVT said:
I wash mine once a year. But sometimes I forget.

Dave's looks a lot nicer.
... so you're one of those guys who subscribes to the philosophy that the caked on dirt provides structural strengthening and seals any possible leaks?

All that rubbing and scrubbing can't be good for the paint.

·
Registered
576 Posts
asteude said:
... so you're one of those guys who subscribes to the philosophy that the caked on dirt provides structural strengthening and seals any possible leaks?

It protects the paint.

Someone in the past filled my LT's FD with water, I suspect by pointing a pressure washer at the vent in the top for a little too long. You might want to watch that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hear coca-cola is a good degreaser. "Works for my inards" as my mom would say. Not sure you'd want to do that without a good spray down following.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
anything that isn't painted, Mr Clean Magic Erasers work like, well, magic. They are slightly abrasive, so I wouldn't use that on the fairings that are painted ("Bug and Tar" remover works great for those, just make sure to wax after as that sometimes takes off your wax). The magic erasers took off marks on my wheels and engine areas that three years of regular washing didn't budge.

·
Registered
795 Posts
For greasy built-up crud I like Oil Eater. I have used it on many things on cars and bike and have never found it to harm any surface but I never let anything get dirty enough to build up stains so I don't know if it will work for stains.

Another product I have used extensively is dewax/degrease products designed to remove just about any surface contamination prior to spraying new paint. Don't cheap out on this and go to PepBoys or Autozone, hit a real auto paint supply house and get a professional product - huge difference.

Of course with anything applied to paint or finished surfaces test on a small inconspicuous place and wait a while to make sure nothing manifests over time.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
asteude said:

It sorta goes along the lines of "Real Vermonters don't wash their cars, it loosens the rust."

·
Registered
498 Posts
petevandyke said:
anything that isn't painted, Mr Clean Magic Erasers work like, well, magic. They are slightly abrasive, so I wouldn't use that on the fairings that are painted ("Bug and Tar" remover works great for those, just make sure to wax after as that sometimes takes off your wax). The magic erasers took off marks on my wheels and engine areas that three years of regular washing didn't budge.
+1

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
petevandyke said:
I like the idea of using Magic Eraser. Even I would have a hard time screwing anything up with that since it can't accidentally splash onto your paint or rotors or eyeballs. I like it!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,182 Posts
I get my bike washed once a year when I arrive at CCR usually. The volunteers use water and soap, I think... :rolleyes:
My bike is due for another CCR! :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I wash mine once a year. But sometimes I forget.

Dave's looks a lot nicer.

Ahhh an Ablative Paint protection System

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.