BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most diificult thing for me to get clean is the front forks. I usually use a wheel brush and the alloy wheel cleaner but it still takes a while.

Does anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Do it more often and it will be easier. Most guys on this forum consider it a badge of honor to have a layer of crud on their bikes. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KayGee, I'm sure you are right but I commute 1,000 miles a week and in the rough british weather the stuff they keep spraying on the roads makes everything filthy. I have to wash the screen (inside and out) every day there is rain (which is too many at this time of year).

What a joy it must be to live somewhere like California.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
In Florida, if you ride enough in the rain, it keeps the bike clean (enough!) and get ride of a lot of the love bugs. Once or twice a year I hit the rest of the bike with the hose, otherwise, that's as clean as it gets, except for the windshield.

Generally after a long ride, I leave a water soaked rag on the windshield and then wipe it clean in 15-30 minutes with a microfiber towel. Windshield still looks quite good and the rest of the bike looks a little grimy between washes...... More fun to ride then wash!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I guess I'm on the other end of the scale. Granted, I don't put a huge number of miles on the bike but it gets put away, parade ready, after almost every ride. I use Plexis and a cotton rag. Even do the underside of the tupperware.....Ok cal me anal!
Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Arthur,
Having to remove the front guard recently proved to me how simple the operation was. Simply by removing the front guard you can the reach all of the forks. I then used a soft nylon pot cleaner and some soapy water, like wash and polish car cleaner. The finish was as new and no damage to any of the paint.
Bruce
Perth, Australia
Ulysses #39110

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
drifter36 said:
I guess I'm on the other end of the scale. Granted, I don't put a huge number of miles on the bike but it gets put away, parade ready, after almost every ride. I use Plexis and a cotton rag. Even do the underside of the tupperware.....Ok cal me anal!
Bob
OK anal :D Sorry had to do it! :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
The last time I did a thorough cleaning, I soaked forks and wheels with WD-40 before I started then used dawn with a nylon dish scrubber and lots of elbow grease. A couple of coats wax afterwards. Make sure the dish scrubber makes it back to the kitchen before she gets home!

·
Registered
446 Posts
ArthurCal said:
The most diificult thing for me to get clean is the front forks. I usually use a wheel brush and the alloy wheel cleaner but it still takes a while.

Does anyone have any tips?
I just finished installing new fork seals and had the dealer install a new tire. My rims and forks were very dirty/greesey from the leaking fork seals as well as a leaking stearing damper. On the fork seals, while cleaning the inside with brake cleaner i sprayed a little on the outside as well. Then, after hearing about a tip from a female friend, I used Simple Green to finish it off. I just sprayed it on and let is soak a few seconds and then wiped off all of the left over grime.

·
Registered
22 Posts
BruceFPrichard said:
Arthur,
Having to remove the front guard recently proved to me how simple the operation was. Simply by removing the front guard you can the reach all of the forks. I then used a soft nylon pot cleaner and some soapy water, like wash and polish car cleaner. The finish was as new and no damage to any of the paint.
Bruce
Perth, Australia
Ulysses #39110

Hi all, After removing the front guard and cleaning the fork I have found damage to the paint, anyone one know what type of paint is needed for touching up the damage marks?

Regards Bob.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
robasay said:
I just finished installing new fork seals and had the dealer install a new tire. My rims and forks were very dirty/greesey from the leaking fork seals as well as a leaking stearing damper. On the fork seals, while cleaning the inside with brake cleaner i sprayed a little on the outside as well. Then, after hearing about a tip from a female friend, I used Simple Green to finish it off. I just sprayed it on and let is soak a few seconds and then wiped off all of the left over grime.
I also use Simple Green. It works quite well especially on the brake dust on alloy wheels the front forks too. You can see the wonder as you are spraying it on. And I did not get that tip from a female friend. :histerica :histerica No chips noticed in paint as yet occasional washes.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
876 Posts
As others have recommended, take off the front guard and get the forks and associated parts clean by whichever method works best for you, then, here's my tip from old motocross/enduro days - wipe down the forward facing surfaces of the forks with some non stick cooking product (like Pure n Simple here in Oz), but don't get any on the disc rotors. It tends to make the crud and bugs wash off easily. The alloy on the forks appears to be a bead blast like finish, I think it makes the crud stick worse. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
601 Posts
TheBigOne said:
Hi all, After removing the front guard and cleaning the fork I have found damage to the paint, anyone one know what type of paint is needed for touching up the damage marks?

Regards Bob.
I would try Wurth Silver wheel spray paint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts