BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best cleaner or polish to remove the black soot from my chrome tail pipe? Has anyone thought of adding an extension to the end of the actual pipe through that hole in the piece? Or will that have some effect on performance?

I don't know if all models are like mine but there is a looks like a 1 inch turn down but it does not protrude outside the chrome jacket so the bottom half of my pipe black. Want to get it before it turns too severe.
ride safe :bmw: 2010 LT

·
Registered
342 Posts
billsmith said:
What's the best cleaner or polish to remove the black soot from my chrome tail pipe? Has anyone thought of adding an extension to the end of the actual pipe through that hole in the piece? Or will that have some effect on performance?

I don't know if all models are like mine but there is a looks like a 1 inch turn down but it does not protrude outside the chrome jacket so the bottom half of my pipe black. Want to get it before it turns too severe.
G'day Bill,
Take it from someone as "particular" about cleaning as I am with Beryl Beemer.....I use a 3M Stainless Steel aerosol where the contents foam up on contact....Beryl is almost 11 years old and still poodles along with 193000kms plus on the clock, so have cleaned the soot off a couple of times...if you dont have 3M products, or similar, some petrol on a rag will get it off. It isn't permanent....if you clean it every week...hahahhaha just kidding!

cheers

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I used Simichrome metal polish.

Basically, anything with a bit of solvent in it will cause the carbon to release from the metal and wipe off pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
A shot of EASY-OFF-OVEN CLEANER works great for removing the black scum around the exhaust. I've heard that some care should be exercised to keep it off of painted surfaces but I've used it for many years and never experienced a problem. Just spray it on, wait about 30 sec. then wipe it off. Then sneak it back into the kitchen before the wife catches you!:)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all of you. I have 5 different choices. If we can generally agree that the oven off will have no dire effect then I will go with that first cause I wear the apron when it comes to cleaning BarBQ grill and stove. Also anything that spray and wipe off works for me.

I hope this is not overkill but after cleaning some of that Simichrome polish or the 3M stuff should not hurt. That is my plan then. I would tend to stay away from steelwool I tried on my Goldwing some years ago the effect was not immediate but sometime later I started seeing rust pimples from the treatment. Thanks for all the suggestions.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I've used several different metal cleaners that were handy like Semi-Chrome that all worked well. I've even used the last of a wax polishing rag when I was finished with it. All seemed to work fine.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Carb cleaner works good as well that's what I use then a little chrome polish.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
billsmith said:

I put a cork from an old wine bottle in there which cut down on the black soot problem significantly.
It has slowed my acceleration a little but doesn't seem to have affected gas mileage. And the exhaust pipe is looking good! :thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Altmax said:
For baked on grime, try fine steel wool first and then chrome polish.

Steel Wool... #0000. Lightly. Works great. Used gas also. Also works well.. I take her around the block, I have to detail her.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am done with a :)

I did some research on line and found 'Simichrome' like a small tube of toothpaste but not in my immediate area. But that did not stop me. I picked up a small bottle of 'Turtle Wax' chrome polish. I read the label carefully and its paste used for polishing and rust remover. Aside from the usual cautions the only thing I concerned myself about was do not apply to warm surfaces and I didn't.

1st I sprayed with oven/ BBQ grill cleaner sprayed on and let sit. I came back out and wiped off with paper towel easy. Next I put on the paste polish and let sit until dry kinda frosty looking. Actually I was having dinner so when I came back it was absolutely dry. I took a shop towel and wiped it to a chrome shine. They recommended to follow with a softer cloth or buffing machine for the ultimate shine but after I got through I did not need that step. The label has the picture of a chrome wheel before/after.

Thanks for all the input and help with this clean up job. The main thing I did not want to do anything to the bike that would corrode or dullen the cosmetic appearance.
ride safe :bomb:

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I put a cork from an old wine bottle in there which cut down on the black soot problem significantly.
:
Soooo, what did you do with the wine in the "old wine bottle"?
The cork also keeps rats from making nests on your exhaust valves....;)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Late to this discussion, but this was something I worked on today. After 5 1/2 years and 110k miles I wanted to tackle the job of cleaning the black soot off the tail pipe.

I bought a product called Nevr-Dull at a local auto parts store. It's cotton batting, impregnated with some kind of petroleum distillate - it smells like Brasso. This product did a fair job of cleaning the soot; it cleaned up the outer edges of the sooty spot but it couldn't get through the toughest part of the problem, closest to the pipe. I also tried carb/choke cleaner - no good. I believe that if I kept going over the remaining soot - numerous times - with Nevr-Dull, it would eventually be gone, but I spent over an hour on that one spot and nothing really happened.

The Nevr-Dull did a great job of cleaning the rest of the muffler. It does the less-intense areas nicely, but not that build of soot from 5 years of operation.

I'll try the Oven-Off and other ideas discussed here. I've seen Simichrome at a local m/c shop; that stuff is expensive!

Thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,101 Posts
Windex and a tooth brush (toohbrush is the key). Simple enough and readily available.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts