BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replacing the fork seals before Mass this morning whilst the kiddies are still asleep.

Have the right lower off, cleaned up the exterior from all the grease and grime (thanks Again John Z for the Castrol purple stuff recommendation... it is like PFM!).

Although several have posted that they just top off the lower with fork oil, I have decided to drain it, clean the interior, and use fresh fluid. Using just under half a litre per side, the one litre bottle of BMW Fork Oil priced at only $7.50 from the local stealer makes it seem silly not to replace it.

THE QUESTION: How does one clean the interior of the lower fork tube? Can I just pour some of the Castrol degreaser into it, swish it around, and let it dry out in the oppressive Texas sun for an hour or two? With my luck, it will not be that easy (although the fork tube slid right off... wow). Someone mentioned Varsol in another thread. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a side note, I was looking at the packaging for the seals... "Made In Japan"

German quality at its finest! :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Gasoline worked great. Rinsed tube a few times with an ounce or so of fresh premium, drained, let evaporate in the sun with the open end higher than lower so fumes could evaporate out. Reminds me of a line I heard from a race team owner: Gas is for cleaning, alcohol is for drinking, and nitro is for racing. I have two out of three covered. Nitro Methane is so far beyond where I want to be! :D

New seal in, new boot on, filled with BMW Fork Oil, and mounted back on the trusty LT. As suggested elsewhere, I left the fork bolts loos until the front wheel was installed properly, the torqued the bolts holding the leg in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts