BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2005 K1200LT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations on how to clean the black off the exhaust pipe?

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Doug
This is toooo scary. I was just going to ask this very question when I logged on and also couldnt quite figure out why BMW has the exhaust pointed downwards Vs. straight out as well. All I could think was that maybe the back draft of exhaust fumes would come back on the passenger. I have an 05 and didnt know if this was standard since I am relatively new to this great riding bike, not to mention excellent forum. I learn something new every time I log on this website and hope to get this answered as well.

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chrome polish and a little time (& elbow grease) will get all the black off. Doesn't last that long, but for a while, it is shiny and pretty!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Very fine steel wool works wonders on pipes .

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I used 409 on the plastic to get the bugs off and on the tail of the exaust to get the soot off. Worked REAL well.

Jer

·
2005 K1200LT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After I had posted my query, I noticed in an earlier thread someone mentioned using WD-40. Any thoughts there?

Doug

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
blkhwk34 said:
After I had posted my query, I noticed in an earlier thread someone mentioned using WD-40. Any thoughts there?

Doug
I've found that WD-40 (which does almost anything you want it to do) leaves a residue. I've used it on really old chrome drum rims and works really well, but I do have to keep going over and over them to eventually get all the film off. YMMV. Try some on a spot under the exaust. There's plenty of surface area there that isn't normally visable.

Jer

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
I have had good luck with a spritz of windex and a tooth brush (old one of course). Buff to a nice shine, but why bother it just comes right back. Maybe I'll just paint it flat black!

·
Registered
449 Posts
OU812 said:
Any way to remove the down turn pipe? :confused:
I guess you could take a sawzall or cutoff wheel to it and make the downturn a 45 degree angle versus the existing 90. Aside from aesthetics and ease of cleaning, not sure it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Windex on the wheels and the end of the pipe, unless its baked on then a little chrome polish works. For the end of the pipe a small metal blade on a sawall would take care of that or just put a Ti Remus on but I still use Windex to clean the end of that also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find that turtle chrome polish is my choice, it cleans it then seams to leave a wax like surface on the chrome/stainless that is easier to clean the next time, I had an antique truck with lots of chrome and it was the only way to go, it will remove the tar like exhaust and leave it nice and clean with a nice shine too.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
fiesbi said:
. . . couldnt quite figure out why BMW has the exhaust pointed downwards Vs. straight out as well.
That may have to do with noise control to help the bike pass strict noise regulations.

I can't see the purpose in cutting the exhaust tip off. Then again, I can barely see the purpose in washing the damn thing. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Removing "downturn pipe"

I do not recommend this, just telling you what I did.

Using my Dremel Tool and cutting disk, I removed the "downturn tube" as close to the exit of the muffler as possible. This will take some patience and several cutting disk.

CAUTION!!!! WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES/GLASSES!!!!:bmw:

Once this was done, make a trip to the local auto supply and purchase a chrome exhaust extension (slightly larger than the existing outlet, because of the "fold" at the tip).

Cut it to the desired length, and force it into the end until it is flush with the flat part of the muffler where you remove the "downtub", (use a rubber mallet to avoid screwing up your new chrome tip). This wil cover the outlet from the muffler and yes, for you "pickers of nits" there may be some slight leakage of exhaust around it, so what!

I then drilled and tapped the bottom of the existing outlet into the new extension, in two (2) places (about 30 degrees apart) to prevent it being ejected when everything heats up.

A test ride of over 100 miles shows no more soot build up on the muffler and the extension seems to actually make the exhaust note softer. :)

radar

·
Registered
832 Posts
"I can't see the purpose in cutting the exhaust tip off. Then again, I can barely see the purpose in washing the damn thing."

I agree with the above from Ken. I choose to not worry about it.
Tell people that you have a diesel. :histerica

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
radar41 said:
Follow up to my earlier post. Pictures are worth many words. :) These photo's show the pipe following a 137 mile test ride through the mountains ;)

radar
Well that looks better and probably requires less CLEANING! ;)
Nice!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I may be a bit anal (that is what my wife claims anyways) but I like to keep my bike clean. When it comes to the exhaust tip, a little squirt of what ever brand of grease cleaner is all you need. I find the "Purple Power" industrial degreaser and cleaner is a good buy at Pep Boys. A small spray and the black stuff rolls right off with a squirt from the hose and then finnish with a quick wipe with the wheel cleaning cloth. No scrubbing, no steel wool, no elbow.... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts