BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the pads on the rear of my 00 LT. I want to clean the caliper up real good before I mount the new pads. I have used kerosene and a parts brush on car calipers before with good results. Does anyone here have any advice on methods/products they have used in the past successfully? Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would suggest getting a can or two of Brake Cleaner from someplace like an Auto Zone or O'Rileys. That seems to be what my BMW mechanic uses to clean things up when we work on the LT. I since have gotten a couple of cans to keep in the shop for cleaning up.

Mine has the long red tube that helps to reach up in close places. After cleaning a few blast of air from the compressor and most grime is gone.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Start with water from a garden hose. The brake system is designed to be exposed to the elements. Then, to remove tar and brake grease etc.., you can go to a paint thinner. I would and do end my brake cleaning with alcohol, because petroleum products are not good on brake pads. They're a lot of brake cleaning products available, and they work great. I just don't think they're necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with tconell. The brake parts cleaner from a parts house works well and it evaporates quickly with no residue. You can usually buy the store brand for about 4 or 5 bucks a can .

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
byrdman said:
I agree with tconell. The brake parts cleaner from a parts house works well and it evaporates quickly with no residue. You can usually buy the store brand for about 4 or 5 bucks a can .
and it won't leave any greasy residue

·
Registered
656 Posts
BeeTee said:
I am replacing the pads on the rear of my 00 LT. I want to clean the caliper up real good before I mount the new pads. I have used kerosene and a parts brush on car calipers before with good results. Does anyone here have any advice on methods/products they have used in the past successfully? Thanks.
Brake Cleaner just remember to put something down to catch the liquid brake is also wonderful for removing paint staining concrete and softening asphalt good stuff.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
petevandyke said:
and it won't leave any greasy residue
When I had my LT, I used the brake fluid cleaner to clean the oil filter cover. I just spray it over a trash can in my garage and it comes out nice and clean and dry.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Kra961 said:
Brake Cleaner just remember to put something down to catch the liquid brake is also wonderful for removing paint staining concrete and softening asphalt good stuff.

...and it makes an excellent marinade for pork

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
bowdon said:
Some of you GUYS scare me!!!

Bowdon
I think I'll just have me some of them there french fried pertaters, umm.

Nice avatar Bowdon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts