BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. One of my riding buddies dropped his K1200 last year. While buying a used replacement fairing panel, He fell in love with a 2010 R1200RT and bought it. The panel he bought for the K bike was a different color. So, he removed all the fairings to have them painted. The panels should be back from the shop this week. Last night, talking by phone, he asked me what to do about cleaning up the nasty stuff that was under the fairings. For at least six months, the bike has been under shelter with open sides. Windblown dirt, dust, and pollen have accumulated to add to the years of road grime. I told him I would do some research and get back to him.

I have searched this website and found mostly threads about routine cleaning as if you merely came home from a ride with a few bug strikes and puddle splashes. This is much more than that. Being a vintage car and "old-iron" collector, I wouldn't hesitate to take my industrial strength pressure washer to the primitive junk I have lying around. But, I don't think I would point that nozzle at anything as sophisticated as a BMW bike (even a 2003 K bike).

Therefore, posting here is my "research." I'll welcome comments from experienced BMW wrenchers/owners. I might help him, but depending on how confident I am with your responses, I might also just pull up a chair, share your recommendations, observe, and then blame you guys if anything goes wrong.:frown::wink:

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Me ? .. I probable would hit it with an air hose & call it good:wave

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yup, air. If you don't have a compressor, a leaf blower, or even a shop vac with the hose on the exhaust (clean the shop vac tank first!).

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
+1 on the air or yard blower. Do yourself a favor and re-tape with cloth friction tape any of the wire bundles you can see as the 14+ year old tape tends to disintegrate and needs refreshing. If the tank is off or can easily be removed, there is probably much you can refresh and keep things from rubbing and shorting out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts