BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably take a fair amount of flack for posting this but I have searched for half an hour and can't find what I need. The windscreen on my '99 LT is very foggy and I want to get it back to 'clear' status this weekend and need advice on what is best to use to get it clear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I tried some Cee Bailey windshield cleaner I had, then tried alcohol as some here have recommended, then finally gave up and ordered a new Cee Bailey windshield to replace my stock one. I know that's not what you're looking for but no matter how much I cleaned my old screen - it still got foggy again.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
foggy windshield

Sorry about your windshield, happened to me as well, ended up having to get another, just got a parabellum, major improvement. Waar is jy in Johannesburg? Ek het daar en Durban gevoon van ek 'n kind was.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol

Geoffrey said:
I will probably take a fair amount of flack for posting this but I have searched for half an hour and can't find what I need. The windscreen on my '99 LT is very foggy and I want to get it back to 'clear' status this weekend and need advice on what is best to use to get it clear.
Take some Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, pour it onto a soft rag, and wipe down the windscreen. It will look awful at first, but when it drys it will be nice a clear.

Nathan

·
Registered
182 Posts
Alcohol does work - for a while. When you get tired of cleaning it buy an aftermarket screen - much better than stock.

sheldan2 said:
Waar is jy in Johannesburg? Ek het daar en Durban gevoon van ek 'n kind was.
Hey Sheldan - your Afrikaans is better than mine - and I live here!:eek:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I tried all the advise I received from the members on the forum and none of them work for very long.

I finally purchased a new shield made by National Cycle in the US and have not had a problem since.

My suggestion is that you do the same. Throw away the OEM shield that is made in Germany and purchase a new OEM that is made my National.

Roger

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had success using 99% alcohol, but others mentioned it was a short term fix. On my last service BMW (Irv Seaver in Orange CA) replaced the windshield on warranty. They recommended not using alcohol and said it would remove the coating. So far, we had rain two days and no problems.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
When I got my 2002, it had a noticably fogged screen.

I used a normal mix-up of Simple Green and water to clean it. Way easy to remove - maybe differnt fogging? It was in Indianapolis.

Then used a bottle of 'clear plastic cleaner' on it I'd purchases way back when for the Vetter screen on the Suzuk. It leaves some kind of 'finish wax'. No. 1 grade (part of a 3 part system?). White bottle with a prominent 'No.1' on the front. For the life of me, I can't remember the manufacture - I'll look when I get back to the shop tonite. Stuff smells like a fine grade string instrument polish.

Problem has yet to return.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try ordinary rubbing alcohol on a fluffy towel to remove the initial fog; clean with soft or fluffy towel; then take soft towel soaked in hot or warm water and place on windshield for a minute or so; dry with clean soft towel; window should be clear and fog free. Water and soft towels should keep clean and fog free. No paper towels.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Use just water

MY EXPERIENCE - My used 2002, purchased with 1,000 miles, came with a foggy windshield and I tried just about everything to no long term avail. Finally had the dealer replace it under warranty and per their instructions, use nothing but water and a clean towel. If it is caked after a long ride, (florida love bugs) just soak a towel and let it sit for a about 10-15 minutes. I have not had a problem since it was replaced, it has about 17,000 miles and it does not fog up.

I do not treat it with anything.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Use Water Only

Hi: #1 Novus plastic clean & shine is probably what you used. They also make
2 grades of scratch remover.
bmwsteve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had that problem on my '99. I used Novus plastic cleaner and it did the job, but every time I did it, the windshield would be fogged again the next day. So, used dishwashing liquid on it - no sponges or cloths to wash, just my hand to avoid scratches. Worked like a charm - haven't had it fog since.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So what is the difference (if any) between the original and new windshield?
Do you have to replace it every year to keep it fog free?
BJ

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
bjedruszczak said:
So what is the difference (if any) between the original and new windshield?
Do you have to replace it every year to keep it fog free?
BJ
The factory shields have some sort of coating on them that scratches fairly easily and tend to "fog up" as they get older.

The aftermarket shields like Cee Baileys don't have this coating. I've had a Baileys for 2 years and 40k miles and it's still in good shape. I'm not careful in cleaning it either, just what ever is handy.

The shields are also made with different types of plastics. IIRC the factory is polycarbonate and the Bailey's is acrylic...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts