BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the FAQ:
"The method that works best is to put the bike on the side stand (recommended in the manual) then put the nozzle in to where it rests on the vapor cup surrounding the nozzle. Pull the lever to about half-way and fill until it pops off. Then pull the nozzle up about half inch and repeat. Let the nozzle drain and invert the handle to eliminate any drips. Your gauge should indicate full after this procedure.
WARNING: Do not overfill the gas tank! You can cause the charcoal canister to flood which will cause all kinds of woe!"

I'm wondering how high in the LT's tank is "overfilling", to the point that charcoal canister damage is done. When I'm done refueling, should gas be above or below the vapor cup?

I'm using a modified version of the above procedure: rather than rest the pump nozzle on the vapor cup, I hold it about 1" below the vapor cup. My thinking is better safe than sorry, but I may be shorting myself of a few ounces of fuel on each fillup (and, thus shortening my range by a few miles).

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
hschisler said:
I'm wondering how high in the LT's tank is "overfilling", to the point that charcoal canister damage is done. When I'm done refueling, should gas be above or below the vapor cup?
I fill right up to the bottom of the filler, and no higher. Over three LTs, I've never had a problem filling this way.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
I stick the nozzle in about one inch while filling. After the pump shuts off, I will pull the nozzle up above the vapor hole and continue (slowly) filling until the gas reaches the vapor hole. Some people want to get every drop possible into the tank, but what will that get them, an extra five miles? I still have the canister in my LT and have never had a problem (knock on wood!).

·
Registered
282 Posts
refuelin

Got to go with Dave on this one...cussing the petro companies. I also have the canister in the new bike and had it in th 2003 without any problems. I do believe keeping it on the side stand and not over filling is the key.

As some one else pointed out, the few extra drops will not get that many more miles to make it worth the risk of clogging the cannister.

By the way, when talking to a mechanic about the canister, if it ever does get soggy, if you are on the road and not in town with the stop and go, he stated about 50-60 miles on the hwy should dry it out.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty much what I'm already doing. When I filled it last night the thought occurred to me: so... just what is "overfilled" on this bike? Guess I'll keep doing what I have been.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts