BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 3000 mile trip and during the trip I began to notice a "clank" every time I hit a bump on the road. Since I am going to be changing the tires is there something I should look over to see where this clank is coming from? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi David,

Even though I’m new here I have just posted about something the same/similar, although you don’t say what area the clanking is coming from ..rear, front or just underneath generally? I test rode a LT and it was banging…clanking underneath towards the back. The dealer has now changed the rear brake disc (rota) and tire. I haven’t picked it yet but they say it has solved the problem, reading through the forums here it seems many others have had similar noises coming from worn rear disc/rota.

Rob :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is from the rear tire. Thanks Rob.

·
Registered
231 Posts
David,
I had this on my '05 LT and it turned out to be the rear disc rotor. It is a floating type and it supposed to move slightly left to right. The problem is that after a while the rivets holding rotor get more slack and the rotor also starts moving up/down direction - that's what makes this clanking noise. You can easily check that - try to move the rotor (don't touch it right after ride, it may get very hot) by hand and see if it moves up/down. If it does, that's what is making the clanking noise.
It doesn't seem to affect the braking power, but it gets embarrassing when people look around like if your bike is falling apart.
I'm not sure if there is a quick fix for that, short of replacing the rear rotor.
I traded in my 05 for a brand new 07 and so far it's quiet after a 6k miles.

BJ

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Clank

My front end clanks on bumps. Turned out in was the front brake pads (currently aftermarket pads).
To check on the source of clank feather your brakes on a bumpy road. if the clank disappears when the brakes are lightly applied, well then it is the brake pads or the rotor making the noise.

bjedruszczak said:
David,
I had this on my '05 LT and it turned out to be the rear disc rotor. It is a floating type and it supposed to move slightly left to right. The problem is that after a while the rivets holding rotor get more slack and the rotor also starts moving up/down direction - that's what makes this clanking noise. You can easily check that - try to move the rotor (don't touch it right after ride, it may get very hot) by hand and see if it moves up/down. If it does, that's what is making the clanking noise.
It doesn't seem to affect the braking power, but it gets embarrassing when people look around like if your bike is falling apart.
I'm not sure if there is a quick fix for that, short of replacing the rear rotor.
I traded in my 05 for a brand new 07 and so far it's quiet after a 6k miles.

BJ

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I will try your suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts