BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the fine help in getting the buke working adain after 500 miles There is still some air in the clutch. Does anyone know where and the size speed bleeder to fit in where the grub screw goes? I found some archive posts about leaving them in place and such but nothing as to size. Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that one too but I want the actual thread dimensions so I can get it NOW and locally, Thanks though!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
nearmisses said:
I found that one too but I want the actual thread dimensions so I can get it NOW and locally, Thanks though!
Take the grub screw out , plug the hole with a rag & small screw then take the grub to the part store & have them measure it, that is what I did.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
SB1010S = 10mmX1.0

From their homepage go to sizes then scroll down and it'll show the dimensions..

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
John has the right size, but be prepared to file down the point a bit to get it to fit in the fill adapter. I recommend a regular bleed screw as you don't generate serious pressure to overcome the check ball in the speed bleeder on the clutch line. But then I have never used one there, just a regular 10mm short. Just like the front brakes use on an early LT.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys! I got into it yesterday and it appears that the transmission seal may have let go the fluid was brown and had an odor of oil about it that was not hydraulic fluid. I guess I have bigger problems but the info was a great help and I'll try Pep Boys for the bleeders and see if they have them and report back soon. Thanks to all! Time to start reviewing the Transmission posts again!

Brian

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't tear any thing apart yet. The fluid will get dark and change odor, thats why we need to change it. I haven't heard of oil getting into the clutch fluid before. It is fairly inexpensive to flush what you got now and if you suspect a bigger problem do it again after riding it some and see what turns up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
jzeiler said:
. But then I have never used one there, just a regular 10mm short. Just like the front brakes use on an early LT.
yep.
10mm short is key.

if you use the 10mm long, you will need to grind down the taper.

I don't really like speed bleeders. I have seen them fail.

(no need to tell me how long you have used them trouble free.)
to each his own. :wave

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
johnT said:
yep.
10mm short is key.

if you use the 10mm long, you will need to grind down the taper.

I don't really like speed bleeders. I have seen them fail.

(no need to tell me how long you have used them trouble free.)
to each his own. :wave
I had a situation yesterday on a ride. My rear brake was bottoming out and not holding. Tore into it this AM and discovered one of the speed bleeders on the rear caliper was leaking slightly. I don't think this is a failure, but I don't know how it got just a tad loose? :confused: It has not leaked since I installed it in December. Tightened it up, re-bled and all is well now. I am now concerned about the future of the speed bleeders (worry,worry,worry) :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts