BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new to me, 2002 K1200LT gas a small area of damage to the top case. I have noticed on some newer models that they have a chrome trim piece that would cover up the damage nicely. I'd rather not have to repaint the lid because this is the only damage on it. Is there a place that I might find this trim piece used? Any help in sourcing one would be greatly appreciated. I'm also open to other ideas as to how to conceal that damage without breaking the bank.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
I put a nice ding in mine-almost the same spot but a bit higher. And the easy solution for me was a 'tail of the dragon' decal. I've ridden the road bunches of times, so earned it. Someday, I may paint the whole thing, but at nearly 20 years old, hardly worth the time and money.

I love the idea of reflective tape-Easier still!

Reactions: krazzz

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would consider a good black or red reflector tape.
I was thinking that reflective tape was going to be my plan B if I couldn't find the chrome piece. I like the little bit of added safety as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put a nice ding in mine-almost the same spot but a bit higher. And the easy solution for me was a 'tail of the dragon' decal. I've ridden the road bunches of times, so earned it. Someday, I may paint the whole thing, but at nearly 20 years old, hardly worth the time and money.

I love the idea of reflective tape-Easier still!
I was considering going with a sticker or reflective tape as well. Since it is so low on the lid, I think the reflective tape would look best.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
And so they are .. @ $251!!

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
And so they are .. @ $251!!
Yep, that is how I nearly got my new Russell seat paid for. When the bear punctured the passenger seat it also slid its paw down the side case and scratched the chrome strip with its claw. At least that is what the adjuster said, although I am not sure but what the scratch was already there as it is almost unnoticeable. That strip along with the passenger seat and installation labor was over $800!! Had I not ordered the drivers backrest with my new seat, the insurance check would have nearly paid for the custom seat. Needless to say, the chrome strip on a 12 year old LT is NOT getting replaced. :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts