BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike back to the dealers , for the replacement of the chrome strips under warranty .
whilst i was in the showroom i spotted the mechanic talking to the service manager , and yes he was discussing chrome strips.
I joined in on the conversation , and guess what, one of the new strips was loose. Appantly when you fit them you have to bend them which in turn seperate,s the chrome trim from the plastic .
The mechanic managed to fit the thee on without bending them and the fourth one on with a little bit of glue on it .
If you do have a problem with the chrome trim just get some decent glue .

04 your 05
in Blighty

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
For what it's worth I've found that 3M double sided OUTDOOR tape is about the best stuff for sticking things back on. It's what BMW uses to stick the chrome trim on the rear luggage side bumpers. Available at most hardware stores, it just may save you a trip back to the dealer someday... ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
That happened to me over a year ago. I glued it with a dab of super glue GEL, which doesn't drip. I then put a clothespin on it to hold it while the glue set up. A year later, it's still on and hasn't come apart. A funny anecdote to this story is that on the day after I glued the piece together, I proudly went on the Key West Poker Run. After reaching Islamorada, feeling ever so proud of being on my BMW, classy as it is, I noticed that I still had the clothespin on the vent. Oops! So much for gloating.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The chrome strips on the right side of my '04 Eur LT also had the problem that the chrome itself came loose last spring. The strips were replaced under warranty. Noticed a few weeks ago that the chromed part of one of these strips separated from the black part. It will be replaced again. There is no reason for me to start thinking of glue...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts