BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out riding one fine sunny day at 12:15 in the afternoon, I joined the Deer club by no fault of my own. I was traveling north on 101 about 20 miles south of Fortuna CA, cursing along on my K1200LT with my legs outstretched on my J-Pegs doing 70 in the fast lane. A black SUV just passed me and out of the corner of my left eye not more that 5 feet away here comes mama. With no time to react it is hold straight and brace for impact, then Wham o. Luckily mama hit me just back of the front wheel at the fattest part of the faring. I was able to control the bike and not go down but my left foot hurt like hell. I pulled over next to the guard rail, about a foot plus away but because of the difference in elevation that close i was not able to hold the bike up with the right foot so I gently laid it into the rail. I know how lucky I am as my only injury other than a totaled bike is two fractures of the left foot which will heal on there own in 8 weeks. We will see what they offer as I only had 15k on my 08 and can document 5K in upgrades. Looks like I get to move to that GSA I have been wanting sooner that I thought. :dance:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad you are ok. Deer are about the only thing that actually scare me riding. Noticed your town. I used to work for xerox in late 80's and Marin county was my territory. Loved San Raphael. Good luck on healing and get back on 2 wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I'm glad you came out of this ok. Deer strikes can be bad. I had the same experience and stayed up as well with no injuries. I was lucky. The LT can take a hit and keep on. Good luck on the GS. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Glad you're OK! One wonders what the outcome might have been.....on a smaller bike....

Heal fast....

JD

·
Registered
635 Posts
Glad you came out of this well enough to not only write about it, but smile in your photo.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You were in the fast lane and the SUV passed you? I can't picture this. Help me. I'm challenged in this regard.

And glad to see you came out OK. I've had two deer run into the side of my cage, dent the trunk lid with their antlers, stop, shake their heads, and run off. They leap out of the high brush on the side of the road (there's no clear shoulder or set back), and you can't see them untill they're in the road. I ride this same road often (on the way to and from home - it's the only way in and out), and know it's probably just a matter of time before one gets me. Not happy about that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SUV was traveling in the fast lane in the opposite direction. The highway has 2 lanes in each direction with a 5 foot space between north and south with no guard rail. I was looking ahead but never saw the deer start to cross the road. Nor did i notice the cars traveling in the opposite direction slowing down, swerving or honking.

Thanks for all the well wishes

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad you're OK.

The shame about (survived) deer strikes on a motorcycle is that you can't throw the critter in the trunk and take it home for dinner.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Glad to see you are OK Chris , got my first deer strike last week , little 4 point got his head between me and the pillion backrest , knocked the lid of me lunch bucket in the top box he did . Cracked the side case cover , State Farm kicked out $510 . it is on now , will work on filling some deer tags tomorrow , Missouri gun season is open .

Bob G
2011 RT

·
Premium Member
7,825 Posts
Dang, that's one close call. Glad to see you're able to write - and laugh - about it.

So... did you have to ask the ER techs to give you a color-matched cast? :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
And nice picture of the two broke things - lifting the cast up on the seat could not have been that easy. Glad to see you can and are smiling after this.

God bless.

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad you are OK buddy. Deer are a Menace to the roadways!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Chris, glad to see you came out of this encounter with only a cast to your foot. I am very glad to see that you were able to keep the LT upright and bring it to a stop.

Heal up fast, and hope your insurance works well with you...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Chris - glad you only came out with a couple of broken bones - that could have been so much worse. Many deer related deaths on motorcycles. Buy a lottery ticket, rest up, heal fast and see you back out there once you have your bike sorted!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad you made it ok. Hope you heal fast and get back riding soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts