BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody; this is my first thread.

I have the option to purchase an '85 K100RS or an '85 K100RT.

The RT has 13K miles and the RS has 20K miles. The are both the exact, great condition, and they are both the exact same price. The RT is more set-up for touring; it has the original saddle-bags and a back rest (with luggage rack).

The RS is pretty bare without bags or a backrest.

I would like this to be a commuting machine (about 50 miles each way), with once in a while touring.

I can't decide on which one to get. I've lots of experience with a '85 RT and I enjoy the wind protection, but in hot Southern-California my legs bake in triple digit weather, making it sometimes near unbearable. Will the RS be much better (cooler)?

I really prefer the sporty posture (and sporty look) of the RS but my girlfriend (who is tiny, like 4'11") will be riding a lot, and I don't know how comfortable it'll be for long distance with her holding on to me. Do any of you guys have experience riding 2-up on a RS versus a RT?

Also, with the RS I'd like to either buy bags, or a large top case (that would solve the backrest, and storage differences). Is it much better just to buy a bike with original bags?

Lastly, I'm 6'1" and I hear you have to battle the wind a lot with the RS. I have no issues with the RT; will it be a tremendous change on the RS?

Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I have the RT and for 2-up it was comfortable. I have not ridden the RS so can't give you a comparison that way.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
I'd buy the RT. Bags and comfort, easy decision for me. Of course it's your money:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I go with the RT I own one. My attempts to deal with the heat in the summer included removing the windshield and the lowers and even the thermostat. What worked the best was buying a 1999 K1200LT that cured my summer heat problems. I use my 85 in the other three seasons just not SUMMER.

Keith

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an 85 K100rs and have ridden both in the summer lets face it these bikes were hot to ride in the summer heat. I added extended side panels backed with thin insulation and insulation under the gas tank it seem to help a little. but other than the heat in the summer its been a great bike to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts