BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those wondering, I purchased a HID kit for both my low and high beam for my '03 LT and finally got around to getting them installed during my 24K service. The only trouble the dealer had was modifying the original light bulb housing to accept the new HID bulbs. I believe they ended up pulling the connectors off the lamps and slid the wires through some new and existing holes in the housing.

My night trip back from OKC to Austin via Dallas was much better with the ability to see even more than my stock setup with Pia 1100's offered.

So far they seem good.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Were these kits from CQLight.ca?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just purchased a CQ HID light two weeks ago and their kit requires NO modification. Just mount the ballast and igniter, then drill an extra hole in the back of the maintenance cover so the igniter wires can egress and your ready to ride. The CQ kit is a nice kit. I would buy again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
HID - which kit?

Guys,

I just took a look at the CQLight.ca site and it wasn't clear which kit I would need for both Hi and low beam on an 03 LT. Can anyone help?

Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
One other question..

Gentlemen,

I know there is a lot of experience out there on HID, so what's the best color temperature to buy, 5000K? 8000K?

I assume the higher the Kelvin temperature, the bluer the light, but where does the point of best light for riding and "look, I've got a blue light" cross?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
4100k to 4300k is the brightest, DO NOT GO FOR THE HIGHER number, Trust me I just bought a replacement bulb for 109 dollars plus tax so I would have better light. I had the next one above 4300k. The color was cool but offered far less light. I think the colored ones attract unwanted attention from Johnny law.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The higher temps only refer to the color. the 4000-4300 K lights will give you the best useable light and the 4300 will look much whiter than even the Piaa X1100 are. I just installed a low beam kit with the 4200K Bulb and I can easly see the diffrence.The bulbs will also shift slightly towards the blue side of the spectrum as they mature. This info came from some automotive lighting people I know from Philips.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Daz,

The '99-'04 LTs (single headlight) take an H7 low beam, and an H3 high beam. The '04-'05 LTs (dual headlight) take an H7 low beam, and an H11 high beam. The '06 LTs have a factory HID option.

CQLight offers single motorcycle kits, or dual car kits (with two of the same bulb). You could buy two motorcycle kits, or contact them and see if they would make up a "car kit" with one H7 and one H3 and save a few bucks. Or just get the low beam, which is what you'll use full time anyway.

As for color temp, lower is better. CQLight doesn't offer a 4200K bulb, but the 5000K bulb should be fine. Don't go any higher than that though.

There is some more info in our Accessories, Gadgets, and Gear section, under the Lighting subsection. Specifically, look at this thread and this thread for details and reviews of the CQLight HID kits.

For the record, it was worth the $500 I paid for my low beam HID about 5 years ago, and it's definitely worth $100 now that the prices have dropped.

Reactions: hschisler

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I try to get the 4200-4300K lights if possible. The last ones I bought for my car were 5000K because I could not find the 4XXXK ones, and I was afraid they would be too blue, but they were not much bluer than the 4200 I had in the bike, or the stock ones in the other car. I have a friend with 6000K though, and these appear MUCH bluer.

I would not recommend anything over 5000K. The 6000 plus ones are a "fad", not as much useable light, and far more likely to get the attention of a LEO. They also make oncoming drivers mad.

·
Registered
408 Posts
meese said:
Daz,

The '99-'04 LTs (single headlight) take an H7 low beam, and an H3 high beam. The '04-'05 LTs (dual headlight) take an H7 low beam, and an H11 high beam. The '06 LTs have a factory HID option.

CQLight offers single motorcycle kits, or dual car kits (with two of the same bulb). You could buy two motorcycle kits, or contact them and see if they would make up a "car kit" with one H7 and one H3 and save a few bucks. Or just get the low beam, which is what you'll use full time anyway.

As for color temp, lower is better. CQLight doesn't offer a 4200K bulb, but the 5000K bulb should be fine. Don't go any higher than that though.

There is some more info in our Accessories, Gadgets, and Gear section, under the Lighting subsection. Specifically, look at this thread and this thread for details and reviews of the CQLight HID kits.

For the record, it was worth the $500 I paid for my low beam HID about 5 years ago, and it's definitely worth $100 now that the prices have dropped.
Give them a call and they will split up a kit for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Daza said:
I just took a look at the CQLight.ca site and it wasn't clear which kit I would need for both Hi and low beam on an 03 LT. Can anyone help?

Just a question. Who are these guys and where are they. There seems to be zero information about the outfit on their website, other than products. At least, I didn't see any.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hid

Guy's

Thanks for the advice, I'll contact them and see if they will make up the right kit.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hid

The Low Beam HID is the H7.....the HiBeam is the H9

WWW.HID-ONLINE.COM is another option

Pat

·
Registered
73 Posts
On the cqlight.ca site, the H7 5000k motorcycle has a temp range from 4200 to 5000.

Model No.
Color Temperature
Light color

4200K~5000K
White

5500K~6500K
Bright White

7300K~8300K
Bluish

9500K~11000K
Purple Blue

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is there a heat problem mounting these into the existing housing. I guess that is how they are retrofitted. Don't have a clue - HID Dumb.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
markfran said:
Is there a heat problem mounting these into the existing housing. I guess that is how they are retrofitted. Don't have a clue - HID Dumb.
HID puts out less heat than the standard Halogen.

It is not exact by any means, as there are other things to consider, but you can get a good idea of heat output by comparing the watts used, and the standard Halogens are 55 watts, the HIDs are 35 watts.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
meese said:
This was a long thread and it may be that I'm still hung over from the last night's pre superbowl party.

If I'm following this and the other HID threads right, I will need to purchase the H7 and H3 set ups from cqlight.ca for just under $200 plus S+H right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts