BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Need some suggestions for a GREAT chili. No beans, according to the cookoff rules we're participating in for the local American Legion post. Like a "kick" to the receipe. Any suggestions?? If yer willing to share, send me a PM on the receipe or post here. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Hi Jeff

Uhm,

Lesse... groundworks:
Onions, tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms and bell peppers.
Add salt, pepper, cayenne pepper (very spicy), lime juice or vinegar or Balsamico. More spicy? Tabasco.
While serving sprinkle finely chopped baked lard, Sprigs of koriander and creme fraiche(double cream?)

No beans, but could go with minced meat and pasta, rice or as topping of an omelet.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Use a sweet Belgian style ale as your stock, this will give a sweet balance to the spiciness. Ten or fifteen minutes before removing from the stove add a shot or two of whiskey.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hopalong said:
Ok. Need some suggestions for a GREAT chili. No beans, according to the cookoff rules we're participating in for the local American Legion post. Like a "kick" to the receipe. Any suggestions?? If yer willing to share, send me a PM on the receipe or post here. Thanks.
Tomorrow is our department chile cookoff - in a field of Texas Red chile entries, I always bring my Green Chile Stew. Two years ago I won the "Fusion Chile" award for hottest. Last year, I won the "People's Choice" award.

Basic recipe - brown an onion and several diced garlic cloves, then brown 2-lbs meat-of-choice (burger, ground pork, cubed sirloin, whatever). Dump in crock pot, add 2-3 cans diced tomatoes, 2 tsp salt, 1 TBLS cracked corriander seeds, 2 TBLS lime juice, one bunch of fresh cilantro (chopped) and then 1-3 cups of chopped hot Hatch green chile according to Scoville rating desired. Add a cup or two of water. Stew it all day in crock. Serve topped with shredded cheese.

Tha hard part is finding the green chile. Forget those little 6-oz cans in the Mexican food aisle - they are wimpy, weak and volumetrically insufficient. Hatch chile can be got frozen all year round from any grocery between El Paso and Santa Fe (Bueno brand, in big plastic tubs), or buy it fresh in sacks during chile harvest in August-September, again in New Mexico. If you don't live near New Mexico, you can get it over the internet at http://www.nmcchile.com/

Green rocks!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
rixchard said:
Use a sweet Belgian style ale as your stock, this will give a sweet balance to the spiciness. Ten or fifteen minutes before removing from the stove add a shot or two of whiskey.
Where's your next cookoff?! I want to sample a gallon or two of your stuff! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts