BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Group,

Heading out from southern Indiana to Athens Tenn. final destination Charleston SC. Have route planned for Cherohala Skyway east. I was not going to ride the dragon but will be passing through Sept 19th, 20th on Toscana green LT. Various routers have me going to Asheville then south on I-26. Question, Are there other recommended routes to Charleston after the skyway other than Interstate? Return trip following week.

Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You should ride the Cherohala Skyway as many times as you possibly can ... in both directions. It's my favorite 50-mile stretch of road east of the Mississippi.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hopefully you will ride the "Skyway" when it isn't fogged in, as most of it was last year when we rode it. It was still a great ride. Ride safe. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Rick,
There aren't any services on the Skyway, so if you need gas, be sure to stop in Tellico Plains, TN or Robbinsville, NC. Tellico Grains Bakery in TP, TN is definitely worth a stop. Excellent sandwiches and pizza!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
We did the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway last year (Dragon a few times before) and I was not overly impressed with the Cherohala Skyway. It was a nice ride but overall just OK.

IF you are in the area I would for sure do the Dragon. If the curvy curves are not your thing then just take your time.

Also since these are week days the crowds on the Dragon are going to be NON existent so you would have the roads to your self.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I use 321 to 178 (just south of Columbia, SC) when I'm traveling to Charleston, , not the most scenic route but it sure beats the interstate....actually you can catch 321 in NC if you like the route

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back from a week of Smokey Moutains and Charleston SC. Rode the Dragon 2x's and Skyway once. Actually toured from Asheville to Brevard N,S,E,W. With cool temps and middle of week. No fog and sunny entire time. The LT turned over 100K on Tenn, N.C. line running the Dragon, just under 1800miles for the week.

Thanks for all the info. Tellico Bakery was Great too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Cherohala Skyway, Wayah Rd, and Hwy 64 into Highlands have some Fall colors starting already. Also, the water falls on the way into Highlands have a lot of water coming down from all the rain we've had lately.

This past Tuesday:

minimike

·
Registered
560 Posts
Flyinb said:
Hwy 28 to Highlands is a must!
++++ Oh yeah! Don't forget to stop in Cashiers at the Carolina Smokehouse for BBQ. It was a featured stop on the show, "Feasting on Asphalt."

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
pauleknight said:
We did the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway last year (Dragon a few times before) and I was not overly impressed with the Cherohala Skyway. It was a nice ride but overall just OK.
You must be following the "suggested" speed limit. If you tried to keep up with me on the Skyway, I think you might find it a little more enjoyable. Then again, maybe I just like speed more than you. (Guilty.) Most riders can't hit triple-digit speeds on the Dragon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.