BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Is it possible that ALL buckets need to be swapped one size smaller during a check at 41,000 miles ? If I keep the measurements off the highest ( tightest ) limits I would be swapping all of them.... :confused:** This would be the FIRST time they were ever checked since new.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe guys who have done multiple valve checks on the LT can speak up. Based on the fact that there're many bikes that have required no adjustments over the same mileage period your situation seems strange. Are you doing it or a dealer?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I changed all of my buckets at 48,000 miles. Most of the intakes were at the tight side limit of .006 and only was actually out of spec.

Most of the exhausts also were on the tight side of the limits and I changed everything to a thinner bucket and moved everything to the loose side of the specs.

If you have to remove the camshaft you might as well change all the buckets you can and still be within specification.

Last check at 72k miles showed all still in spec and not moving much.

Joe

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Never changed all the buckets on any Bike at one time, and we've done a bunch of them. Are you sure you are reading your feelers correctly? Are you checking them with the engine cold? Just sounds too far out unless the Bike has a ton of miles on it and has NEVER been checked!

John

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
Never changed all the buckets on any Bike at one time, and we've done a bunch of them. Are you sure you are reading your feelers correctly? Are you checking them with the engine cold? Just sounds too far out unless the Bike has a ton of miles on it and has NEVER been checked!

John
I agree I have 60,000 miles & have never changed any buckets. At the 48K check only 1 or 2 were even close to tight but still in spec.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, I may have changed some of mine early but one was tight and if I remember right I only had to buy a couple of new buckets and every thing else was swapped around.

Last time I checked the clearances I bought some "stepped" feeler gauges that let me feel the clearance a lot better. I had always used a single feeler gauge with oily fingers before to prevent forcing the valves but maybe I pushed some a little too much.

Anyway, looser within reason probably hasn't hurt and at the last measurement they were in spec so I hope they stay that way.

It's New Year's day, the sun is shining, and my Mother in Law is in the house...time to go for a ride!!! ;)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
I had a few intakes that were at 0.006" at the 12K the 24K and the 36 K. They finally went OUT of limits at the 48K. That is what limits are for. There is no justification to keep them all at the high (loose) side given the little wear we experiance. Now if you spend a lot of time up around 6-8,000 RPM I would keep them on the loose side as they will wear much faster at the higher RPMs.

Since you have no 12K baseline to compare and unless they are out of limits (.005 fits .006 does not) then I would leave them alone until the next 12K. Worry more about a tight exhaust valve over a tight intake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts