BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the fuel tank out and remove the pump and filter (remember this bike was sitting for a couple years) am going to replace the fuel filter but before I put everything back together how can I check the pump to make sure it works while outside the tank or is there a kit to rebuild this

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
Yes you can. Just plug the power connector on the right side of the tank (location) directly to the pump and with the power on press the starter button. You should hear the pump buzz...
It is probably good!
I mentioned on your other post that you should add some injector cleaner to the fresh fuel.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
am pulling the fuel rail off and sending the injectors to be clean and tested. one other question do I flush the tank out with gas or is there a product to remove any tarnish stuck to the tank

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
Witchhunt did a great job on my injectors.
I am not sure which product works best to remove the tarnish, but a trip to the local auto parts store should provide an answer

·
Registered
191 Posts
Printman
I have used Chemtool B-12 for years to clean varnish out of fuel systems. If it is not real noticable on your injectors just add it to your fuel and ride the bike around town. I usually stay fairly close to home at this point in case of failure. A tank of fuel and it should be cleaned out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts