BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where do you check the level and where do you fill if necessary. BTW whats the BMW part # for the stock air filter ? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Lenbo said:
Where do you check the level and where do you fill if necessary. BTW whats the BMW part # for the stock air filter ? Thanks.
Checking coolant level:
According to my 2009 RepROM:
(Shows diagram of cap on left side of bike, next to the back part of the faring. Inset shows cap with a tapered conical protrusion, which has a cut on one side. The end of the cut near the tip is labelled "MIN", the top of the cut is labelled "MAX".)
The instructions say to remove the cap and use the marks to check the coolant level in the expansion tank. Correct the coolant level if the results deviate slightly from the marks. It also says to check the coolant system for leaks if the results deviate significantly from spec.

I believe that most people treat the coolant as a sealed system and leave it alone unless they are having engine temperature problems. You need a special vacuum tool to fill a drained cooling system, but I don't know if anything special is required for topping off. Probably not.

Air Filter:
* Go to: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51588
* Click on 13-Fuel Preparation.
* Click on diagram 13_1301 in the lower left corner. (SUCTION SILENCER/FILTER CARTRIDGE)
* See part #10:
10 13717703583 AIR FILTER ELEMENT 0.16 1 $22.47

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Lenbo said:
I have a 08 GT I don't think the overflow tank is close to the saddle bag but thanks.
Oops! Sorry about that. Guess I should look closer at the Sig line before jumping in there.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wouldn’t the 12GT be similar to the 13GT? On my 13GT the overflow tank is on left behind the faring near you knee. It has level indicators on the side of the exposed portion of the tank just like most cars. The cap however is somewhat a challenge to get to and it is easer to fill with the faring off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts