BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am new here and that this is not a new idea. However I know that there are several new LT owners here and maybe it will help someone.
I had read about the issues with the linkage and so I pulled mine out and checked it. All of the foam seals were shot and fell off when I pulled the links off. All the sockets were bone dry and one of the balls, at the trans was loose, real loose.
In this condition I am betting that there would have been a break down soon and I am leaving for a 1000 mile Saddle Sore on Saturday.
I found a spark plug boot that was an extra from a set and I cut it into rings to replace the OEM foam seals. I figured the boots could handle the heat.
So, I saved myself a breakdown and if you have not checked yours recently you might want to.
Great How-To here: http://illinoisbmwriders.com/service/instructional-videos/15-k-bikes/28-k1200lt-shifter-linkage-maintenance
Anyway, thanks to all who contribute so much here, this is a great site and I know will save me $$$$ as I rack up the miles on this great bike.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Timely reminders never hurt! :bmw:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I used clear plastic tubing cut to size to replace the foam. Has worked really well so far and its easily replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 99 here in the UK 2 weeks ago, just some rattles and knocks sounds like the stand bonks against the stops at slow speed over a bump ... springs I think. I digress !
Your Item in the Linkage .... Is the next inspection Job, gear changing is ok ish but yes feels dry and unloved I think this will fix the problem of rough shifting, Also Im missing the aerial so an hidden one seems the best option apart from that, Just the very slow speed handling in traffic added some air to the tyres both a little low.

I know I am new here and that this is not a new idea. However I know that there are several new LT owners here and maybe it will help someone.
I had read about the issues with the linkage and so I pulled mine out and checked it. All of the foam seals were shot and fell off when I pulled the links off. All the sockets were bone dry and one of the balls, at the trans was loose, real loose.
In this condition I am betting that there would have been a break down soon and I am leaving for a 1000 mile Saddle Sore on Saturday.
I found a spark plug boot that was an extra from a set and I cut it into rings to replace the OEM foam seals. I figured the boots could handle the heat.
So, I saved myself a breakdown and if you have not checked yours recently you might want to.
Great How-To here: http://illinoisbmwriders.com/service/instructional-videos/15-k-bikes/28-k1200lt-shifter-linkage-maintenance
Anyway, thanks to all who contribute so much here, this is a great site and I know will save me $$$$ as I rack up the miles on this great bike.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Recently my shifting started to get rough and the lever made rub marks on the lower fairing. I took the linkage out, the balls were all bone dry and the bolt holding the shift lever to the foot peg plate was loose. Two foam seals were missing and the other two were split. So I lubed it up and reassembled without the foam seals temporarily with the intent of ordering some. I know I have to take the linkage out again to replace the O2 sensor anyway. Maybe I'll just make some seals out of rubber hose instead. Thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I replaced the stock linkage with a stronger version from Powergrid in MI. As of a few months ago they had an 8mm kit for the LT in stock.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I bought a 99 here in the UK 2 weeks ago, just some rattles and knocks sounds like the stand bonks against the stops at slow speed over a bump ... springs I think. I digress !
What you described sounds like the dreaded cow bell noise caused by worn rivets holding the rear rotor. Test and see if you can wiggle the rotor with your fingers as it wold be the best clue. If so then replace with an EBC rotor (and new pads of course).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts