BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently bought a 05 R1200RT with 15500 miles. Nice bike still getting used to it. My first real trip was about 200 miles to the dealer for 12000 mile service. I check the oil level it was 3/4 of the sight glass. just before getting to the shop the check oil came on. The dealer changed oil and filter, used bmw 15-50 syn. I have been riding in hot weather and each time I go to an idle the check oil comes on then goes back off when I get going. Has anybody had this happen? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you will find that the Oil check mark is normal after running the bike and stopping at idle for 30 sec. This is a check by the BC when the engine is at operating temp, the side stand is retracted, and the bike is vertical. Everything oilwise is ok. Pg. 53 in my 08 manual - Operation section.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Welcome on board, and welcome to the '05 RT.

Listen to me carefully. They all do that, unless they have been modified to not do it, and it does not mean the oil level is low!

Details:
'05's came from the factory with an oil level sensor that throws off an incorrect Low Oil signal. Part of this was due to the float itself that was the culprit. The other part of the "issue" was the computer's software. There is a technical bulletin on this and the dealers used to do the fix(replace the float) at no cost, and it is no big deal. The sensor is located on the right hand side above the oil level, you just open it up and change to the new model float.

They wanted to do the fix on mine and I did not let them. I bought the new float a month or so ago and I will change it myself. I do not think the computer re-flash is necessary.

There was also some technical chatter a few years ago that the false low oil condition happened more frequently if the rider's display was left on the Temperature selection. I think that was true- a little bit.

NOW... you will learn that the erroneous message tends to come on after a spirited ride and a rapid stop. Like pulling in for fuel. If you just ignore it while knowing there really is oil in there you will be fine. Or fix it.

NEXT. There is one other "feature" of the '05 that you might want to learn about. The ambient air temperature probe is/was mounted in the tail piece. You can look and see it sticking down if you look under the rear fender. The factory learned that it reads about 8 degrees F high. They will relocate this to under the right hand fairing if you ask. (or at least they used to... maybe not now). I also chose to leave mine where it is because I can subtract 8 from the reading pretty good... being good in math and all.

Welcome to the board. If I can help with anything else, just ask.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts