BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the long running discussion on seating for the LT, I have seen multiple references to a homemade beadrider. People have said they bought the beaded seat cover from Walmart (checked it out, really cheap!) and made their own beadrider...I looked at the beaded seat cover, and I'm not sure how you might cut off a smaller section to fit on the LT seat..It kind of looks like if you cut one of the fishing lines woven through the beads, it would cause the whole thing to dismantle.. Anyone who has done this, please impart your wisdom and knowledge...Thanks, Rich C.
p.s. I tried the gel seat pad they sell at Walmart for 20 bucks, and I can't say it helped much, and for the most part it felt really warm on my buttocks, I kept checking to see if the heater was on...

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Rich
I did get a Walmart bead seat and make it smaller........
I do not remember how I cut the binding but it was fairly easy to do.
As I recall, it did require some restringing...........
(didn't work for me so it's gone now otherwise I'd send it to ya')

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
The trick is to mark where you want to cut. Then use line from the other half of the seat cover to weave through the border to hold it all together. A lot of knot tieing. Then cut away the part you don't want.

Don't expect beads to make the seat feel better - it will just make it cooler and "different". By all means don't sit on the beads all day, but rather mix it up. Beads then no beads, sheepskin , then no sheepskin. I made the beads all day mistake and by the time 10 hours were over I could count every bead with my lower "cheeks".

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I was trying to get some ventilation on the seat, I suppose I should quit trying out the cheap stuff and drop the bundle on a custom seat, but the stock seat is not bad for me....Hey maybe a seat vibrator or something to increase the circulation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also bought mine from Walmart and just tied the smaller end to the luggage rack and draped it over both seats.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
You live in Oak Harbor & haven't gone to see Rich yet? I just drove all the way across the state on Friday, they did my seat and cannot believe the difference in comfort. Best money I've spent on comfort since I bought the LT. Just remember, the seat is made for YOU. I have also tried the beadrider, sheepskin, Airhawk and this solved my problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the ceramic beads from Bead Rider and really like them. I leave them on all the time. I'm sure it's not as good as a Russell or a Meyer custom seat, but it really makes a difference for me. I've tried gel pads and they didn't help even a little bit. AirHawk is excellent and I like the beads. I had wooden beads before and when the string (nylon?) began to deteriorate, I replaced it with a ceramic set. I'm not sure why, but the ceramic seems to be better - worth the additional cost.

My Moto Guzzi Jackel had a stock seat from Hell. The AirHawk was the only thing I found that tamed it. Then I bought a used Corbin which was way better than the stock, but I still used the AirHawk on longer trips.

I'm reasonably comfortable on the LT with the beads, but I will probably get a Russell in the near future.

·
Registered
719 Posts
casualemt said:
In the long running discussion on seating for the LT, I have seen multiple references to a homemade beadrider. People have said they bought the beaded seat cover from Walmart (checked it out, really cheap!) and made their own beadrider...I looked at the beaded seat cover, and I'm not sure how you might cut off a smaller section to fit on the LT seat..It kind of looks like if you cut one of the fishing lines woven through the beads, it would cause the whole thing to dismantle.. Anyone who has done this, please impart your wisdom and knowledge...Thanks, Rich C.
p.s. I tried the gel seat pad they sell at Walmart for 20 bucks, and I can't say it helped much, and for the most part it felt really warm on my buttocks, I kept checking to see if the heater was on...
i took a pair of channel locks and snapped the beads i didnt want in half

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
casualemt said:
Thanks for the replies, I was trying to get some ventilation on the seat, I suppose I should quit trying out the cheap stuff and drop the bundle on a custom seat, but the stock seat is not bad for me....Hey maybe a seat vibrator or something to increase the circulation?
If you want ventilation we've got you covered: ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
I did as Lenny did , worked well , but the mice in the barn chewed it up , it was on the lawn tractor .

Bob G

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought an auto beaded seat from Pep Boys ($15), just cut the bottom half away from the top half and used skinny bungees to hold to my Ulysses, then after that got sold, used the same lower half on the LT, looks cheesy, but it works. No need to cut the monofilament that holds the beads together.
For me, the LT seat is way to low, even in the high position, so the beads bring it up a bit. But jzeiler had the right idea, no matter what you use, sheepskin, beads, etc. I find it's good to change every couple hundred miles or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts