BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

cheaper $ fog lights?

7K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  NCCCC1 
#1 ·
Without spending a small fortune, any suggestions on some cool looking foglights for my 05 1200LT I just picked up?

#2 ·
depends what is a small forture, most of the time you get what you pay for? PIAAs have worked very well for me, on my LT and my cages

#3 · (Edited)
timotimo said:
Without spending a small fortune, any suggestions on some cool looking foglights for my 05 1200LT I just picked up?
My bikes have cheap driving lights from walmart or local autoparts store.
Lots of options. They usually say "for off road use only". I remember paying less that $20 for a set including the wiring. They are cheap, more likely to leak, but you can buy several sets for the cost of a set of some others.

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...Find=Find&search_constraint=91083&se=polaris&

Here's my super clean KLT with a set of walmart lights inside the front cowl:

And a set stuck under the turn signals of my R90/6 (actually, one light each from different sets of lights. Different light pattern and different colors make you more visible to traffic ahead):

Attachments

#4 ·
$35 at Pep Boys for some H3 halogen based lights that I mounted on the lower panel sides. Happens to match the color of the panel too. Only other cost was the relay ($10) and some wiring and my time. My buddies say they look great. I did go all in on a marine lit switch that allows the lights to be on manually, or switched by the high beam. If you want pics then let me know.

#5 · (Edited)
Don Muddiman (The guy that sells the famous armrests) had posted on, I believe it was this site an idea he had about some $39.00 lights from advanced auto. He said that he'd tried 6 different types of lights before settling on the type he did. It included templates and instructions. I downloaded and did it. They throw a great light pattern. I think they look and work great. I'm kind of new to this site but hope to be able to give more info later.

#7 · (Edited)
NCCCC1 said:
How do I get my bikes picture in here? It is in my profile for this site. Thanks. Greg
Greg,
here's what I've figured out, not being a html guy or anything:
When posting, below the "Submit Reply, Preview Post, Spell Check", scroll down to see "Additional options". There you'll see "Manage Attachments".
By clicking on Manage Attachments, you can browse your own computer's files for the pic you want. It is good to reduce image file size of the pics before uploading; reducing the file size makes 'em upload faster and if they're too big, they won't go. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager "Compress" file option.

That'll get you to the point where the images are attached to your post at the bottom, and clickable for a larger view.

To imbed images in the text, the picture has to be on the server or on the net somewhere and then the url of that pic pasted between:

What I do is first attach a pic to my post. Then if I want to imbed the pic within the text I'll click on the pic to get the url of the pic, then edit the post and cut 'n paste the url into the text of the post.

So when editing the post, to get a pic within the text, you would have:

If you click on "Quote" to reply to this post, you'll see how the url for this pic is entered into the text of this post:

My 2000 K1200LT with 31lbs of camping gear, ready for a two-up camping trip. "Outrigger saddle bags, and Paul Sayeh's Harley rack loaded up. If you think the KLT is top heavy, try this! :histerica

HTH

Attachments

#8 ·
Also here in Europa use it the easy and cheap way.
Is a fog light on top and day light under need.
Fog light is connected to low beam and auto switch. The bulbs are 55W H7, they give a lot.
Cost about $ 30 for the lamps plus auto switch and your work.

Manfred

#9 ·
I got my lights from this place,

http://www.martinfabrication.com/Martin_Fabrication/Motorcycle_Lighting_Home.html

Comes with lights and mounts that fit down on the fender mounting tab. Moves them away from the headlight so you get a nice triangle light affect that others hopefully will notice. There is not a kit listed for the LT, but if you ask them they can tell you which kit fits. I had a set of Wally world lights on another bike but the beam was sealed and there was no way to change the bulb when it blew. These bulbs you can change out.

#10 ·
timotimo said:
Just me, but I would save your $$ for PIAAs. You can get them online for less than $200, and the quality is outstanding. I will take function over "cool looking" any day. Safety should be the first priority, always. Also, get the HID kit for the headlight... Your lights are your best friend at night- or your worst enemy.

#11 ·
Sit said:
I got my lights from this place,

http://www.martinfabrication.com/Martin_Fabrication/Motorcycle_Lighting_Home.html

Comes with lights and mounts that fit down on the fender mounting tab. Moves them away from the headlight so you get a nice triangle light affect that others hopefully will notice. There is not a kit listed for the LT, but if you ask them they can tell you which kit fits. I had a set of Wally world lights on another bike but the beam was sealed and there was no way to change the bulb when it blew. These bulbs you can change out.
Do you remember which model you pruchased or did they make up something special for you?

#13 ·
PIAA 1100x..... That plus DDM Tuning HID kit were the best investments I ever put on the bike... LIGHTS are key... IMHO...

Attachments

#15 ·
I don't remember and could not find anything written on the box. The lights are not the issue. The issue is the mount. I know in my kit they sent three different set of spacers to make sure the mount would fit on the fender bolt and hold the light away from the plastic. That was really the only issue. After a couple of dry fits with the different sizes, I picked the one that worked for me, mounted the lights, ran the wires, hooked it all up and was in business.

Do they throw light hundreds of feet down the road, no. Do they make a nice light triangle for cars to see, yes. That is what I was after. For down the road, I use an HID in the main light. The money saved, well I bought all kinds of stuff with it.

johnbaker15 said:
Do you remember which model you pruchased or did they make up something special for you?

#16 ·
I'm laughing so hard at that saddle bag on saddle bag thing, I'm about to pee in my pants.
That's just the funniest thing I've seen in weeks. Good job on that post :histerica :histerica

#17 ·
CharlieVT said:
Greg,
here's what I've figured out, not being a html guy or anything:
When posting, below the "Submit Reply, Preview Post, Spell Check", scroll down to see "Additional options". There you'll see "Manage Attachments".
By clicking on Manage Attachments, you can browse your own computer's files for the pic you want. It is good to reduce image file size of the pics before uploading; reducing the file size makes 'em upload faster and if they're too big, they won't go. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager "Compress" file option.

That'll get you to the point where the images are attached to your post at the bottom, and clickable for a larger view.

To imbed images in the text, the picture has to be on the server or on the net somewhere and then the url of that pic pasted between:

What I do is first attach a pic to my post. Then if I want to imbed the pic within the text I'll click on the pic to get the url of the pic, then edit the post and cut 'n paste the url into the text of the post.

So when editing the post, to get a pic within the text, you would have:

If you click on "Quote" to reply to this post, you'll see how the url for this pic is entered into the text of this post:

My 2000 K1200LT with 31lbs of camping gear, ready for a two-up camping trip. "Outrigger saddle bags, and Paul Sayeh's Harley rack loaded up. If you think the KLT is top heavy, try this! :histerica

HTH
Thanks for the good advice. Let me ask you this; With my LT fully loaded (not as loaded as yours is in the picture) and my wife on back, having the stock rear shock set to the max weight adjustment, while cornering, I find that I scrape the (fully up) centerstand or sidestand or maybe even the shift lever much easier than such a sporty looking bike should be expected to. Do you have any advice? Ohlins? Other adjustment? Grind off portions of the center stand? Other Mod? Just take all turns slower? Greg.

#19 ·
I once had a Cruiser style Suzuki that I think I could take turns leaning lower and going faster than perhaps my LT does. All ideas are welcome.

#21 ·
NCCCC1 said:
These are my Don Muddiman armrests and his foglight idea.

Nice paint job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.