BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday my riding buddy Bob and I did a 500 mile run -- all in one day -- to see how a 500 mile day would feel like as we both are going to the rally (2,200 miles RT) next month. During the ride, Bob showed me his gel padding cover that was placed top of his seat -- looked like a nice addition.

Since my butt was a tad tender on Monday morning, I decided to look into some gel padding options. That said, I ran across a company called AM specialties -- read some reviews and it looked like a nice option so I ordered the "jumbo size -- sheep skin cover" based on talking with the owner Joe -- Here is a link to the company: http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm

Review: The jumbo size is the perfect size for the LT. The cost was $127 and change from AMS (buy it from White Horse Gear in NH if you want to save a few dollars). Since getting it on Friday, I took a few quick ride and seemed like a nice addition to the LT -- it felt like many road bumps were absorbed.

Other comments are:

1. It lifts you up 1" off the OEM seat -- doesn't sound like a lot but it is. I am 6-2 225 lbs and always ran with the seat in the "up" position. I had to lower the seat to offset the added padding -- it made me too tall for the bike. If you are already struggling with the height of the LT, don't buy the padding.

2. The sheep skin cover is of OK grade -- I would recommend this look vs. the neoprene cover.

3. The padding is comprised of silicone gel and in a foam padding on top. Feels soft and pliable.

4. The bottom of the cover has that non-slip padding and a strip of velcro that adheres to a velcro band that wraps around the seat -- just to lock it in place. Joe the owner said to take off the seat padding as a few people have had it stolen.

Overall: For $127 it is well worth it. Sure you can go cheaper and more expensive -- Personally, this was short money for the added comfort and my limited experience with it so far -- I would suggest buying it.

P.S. Once the packaged arrived on Friday, I placed it on the bike -- and immediately found a "tear" in the sheepskin. A few minutes later, I sent a picture to the owner via e-mail and he quickly sent a replacement cover that same day. No questions asked.

Hope this helps -- both you and your butt!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I used it on two trips the past couple of months, a 2200 and a 3400 miler with up to 760 mile days. It helps a little, but not enough. Looks like I'll have to break the bank and get a Russell or Kontour. Ouch!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Air Hawk is worth a try

On my LT, I had beads and a sheep skin that I rotated per the sellers instructions. Ended up with both, beads on the bottom and kept it that way till it was sold. For me, it was perfect.

Just by chance or luck, a member of this forum was selling his Air Hawk for a price that I could not pass up. My wife grabbed it right after it arrived and really like it. She used it at her desk for 6 months or so until a new desk chair arrived.

My new K1600 arrived last July and 6 months later I thought that I'd give the Air Hawk a try. It has been on for about 6 months and greater than 4,000 miles. I really think I have winner and don't plan for any more changes. I did an Iron Butt with the beads and sheep skin, but the seat was not as comfortable as the Air Hawk.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Mine is the Air Hawk 2. I bought it from a member of this forum and did not have a choice. I don't think it was used more than 1-2 times. The key to using it correctly is to not put too much air in it. It is like a water mattress with baffles. The support shifts as I move.

I've owned it for about a year and it still preforms as new. It came with instructions and a patch kit that I have not had to use.

There are some newer models available that I would go with if I ordered today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts