BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the "for what it's worth" department:

I recently procured a somewhat high-mileage K12LT. She had her discrepancies, but with a little TLC I felt it was well worth it. One of the shortcomings was a blown speaker in the rear. One of the big ones (I quickly realized there are eight speakers total in the four enclosures on an LT, four big and four little). I also realized that one replacement speaker was about fifty dollars.
Out of curiosity I went to the nearest Best Buy with my blown big speaker and the salesman assured me he could replace it. Not with a "one-way" like the OEM speaker, but with a "two-way" speaker that would take the place of both the big and little speaker. I bought a pair of Pioneer 5 1/4" Model # TS-G1341R speakers for less than the price of one OEM.
Installation was a breeze using the existing OEM speaker bracket. All the solderless connectors fit perfectly. My sound system is cranking out some wonderful, distortion-free sounds.
I am quite happy right now...will I encounter any unforeseen problems with this modification?
VR/Didi
99 K12LT (Gertie) :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
MolenaarD said:
I am quite happy right now...will I encounter any unforeseen problems with this modification?
Congrats on your purchase! I am all for happiness. :) The only question I have is the speaker water proof? It will take on water directly, so it has to be, unless you never ride in the rain.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
There are plenty of good speakers that can replace the originals with as good or better sound quality, and size, but you have to be sure they are constructed of water proof materials, which many auto speakers are not. Otherwise they will not last after a few rides in the rain or washes.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
make sure they are the same ohm rating as the factory speakers. Not that its a huge deal, but it can strain the headunit if they arent.

F

·
IBR# 366
16,562 Posts
If your new speakers do wash away then I have a spare rear speaker at home in the garage. I may not be able to get to it for a week or two, but I'd let it go for a lot less than new BMW prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts