BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An RT owner - I'm planning my 1st 1/2 cross-country (Mid-west to Rockies & back) trip this summer.

I'm torn between what to bring in the event of rain - don't want to bring the whole bloody wardrobe...
So here goes:
I do own Aerostich Darien Goretex pants, but prefer my Trilobite armored jeans.
I do own a decent heavy 3 season armored hi-viz Jacket with goretex liner (but it can be too warm for summer) but prefer my nice armored Kevlar-lined riding shirts & an armored vest that I prefer on 90% of my rides.
So there is always the option to buy a cheapo (sub $100.) one-piece rainwear (which I do not currently own).
Just fishing for what others with more distance experience have learned works best & helps them travel light.
Thanks for any & all recommendations.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
We use mesh gear year round and for those rainy days we just use Frog Toggs as an outer layer. They don't hold up for more than a few seasons but they are cheap and don't leak.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bit different in Europe because it does rain a lot. But I have tried all different combinations. Without doubt, the one piece rain suit works very well and has always kept me dry when I used them. But the disadvantages of having to dress before if rain is forecast or stop and try and get the suit on eventually drove me to a good quality textile. Saying that, the kit is warm in the summer, so moved to leather bottoms and a air flow jacket for hot days. But if rain is forecast, take along the liner to the jacket which is a rainproof liner. I ride all year around, but think if I was only doing occasional trips, the all in one rain suit would work.

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
180 Posts
We use separate two piece rain gear (Tour Master) with dry boot covers (mine are Spider Feet) and water proof gloves. It has worked well keeping us dry for hundreds of miles in the rain. YMMV

Reactions: robofavo

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gents! Considering it's usually more dry than wet in this part of the world, Frogg-Toggs or a similar product sounds like the most likely candidate... - it's can be so daunting to travel super light... but I've heard from others we all tend to over-pack. Onward!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Summer in the Rockies, you need to be prepared for rain. Weather will change between ridgelines, afternoon thurnderstorms are common.

Also, be prepared for significant temperature gradients. Temps are much lower in the mountains. In summer I'll head to the mountains to get away from the heat. It'll be 98*F at my house, and 40 minutes later it's 60*F in the foothills. Plus, you can get another 20* change going over a pass. I've had to put in glove liners.

Also remember there's a 30+*F difference between daytime high and nighttime low, and it typically drops 20*F as soon as the sun goes behind the mountains, or in an shaded valley or gorge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OP, just an FYI.
If you ride to Mt Evans, keep your CG as low as possible. Be prepared for tight, off camber switchbacks, with tourists in campers cutting the corner to stay away from the thousand foot dropoff, snowmelt and sand/gravel/mud on the road, some sections of very slow (3-5mph) with frequent stops on off-camber roads. There's a hundred ways to drop your bike on that road.

Not saying don't do it, just be ready to need your A-game riding skills and don't get distracted. Keep focused on the road, plan on stops to admire the view because you won't get a chance to look around on the road.
It's worth the trip, it's just a very technical route up if there's traffic. And in May, there will be traffic.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
7 Posts
In the summer, it's a Dianese perforated leather jacket and non-perf pants. I carry a Dianese rain jacket and some cheap cycling rain pants. Covering long distances, I found that the rain is seldom constant, and many times I can just take a light soaking and dry off in the wind if it's not too cold. I have had entire afternoons of rain, and the rain gear was welcome. No mesh for me on the long trips, because if it's really hot I want to control air flow, and the perf. jacket does well from the mid 60s into the low 100s with adjustments to layers.

In the winter, I wear a two-piece goretex-pro armored suit, Dianese again. Can't afford to get wet when it's cold, and it's good down into the 30s with my heated gear. I would not ride if it was raining and in the 30s unless it was essential.

So my vote is seperate rain gear for summer touring, and full waterproof in winter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We use separate two piece rain gear (Tour Master) with dry boot covers (mine are Spider Feet) and water proof gloves. It has worked well keeping us dry for hundreds of miles in the rain. YMMV
I've been using the same Tour Master two piece rain suit for the past 14 years. I also use the boot covers and three finger rain gloves.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been using the same Tour Master two piece rain suit for the past 14 years. I also use the boot covers and three finger rain gloves.
I also have a new BMW Pro Rain 3 one piece hanging in my closet for the past 5 years that I never used.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Riding in the rain is a drag, unless you have good gear. It took me a while but I finally bought the Klim Forecast Gortex rain gear and it is second to none. Now, I barely mind riding in the rain.

Get yourself some gortex gloves as well and you'll be set for a long time....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Reactions: robofavo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts