BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of living with the GPS on my phone, in my pocket, over headphones. Microcenter has refurbished GPSs, paid $50 for my Nuvi 50LM.

I figure I can either pull it when it rains, waterproof it like the videos on youtube show with silicone...or buy another bike that comes with a GPS (looking at a K16GT now).

But I still figure the work done on the 3d printer file could be shared with the folks that might be able to use it.

I've printed it in PLA, and am unsure if it'll stay dimensionally stable with the heat of the summer approaching. I'd recommend printing it in ABS or PETG.

Cost $0.57 US to print. :laugh:

Files can be found here: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/garmin-gripper

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Right on. I just used the stock Nuvi mount with a RAM arm. On my RT I've never had any issues riding in the rain--windshield does a good job, but the power adapter is also subject to the wet, Doh. Learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
How bout a RAM mount system mounted on a clutch reservoir ball mount . I have my Garmin 550 and my J&M cb mounted with the RAM system. It works out well for me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How bout a RAM mount system mounted on a clutch reservoir ball mount . I have my Garmin 550 and my J&M cb mounted with the RAM system. It works out well for me.
Because I have a visor/shade/bracket....and the printed part was less than a buck.

And no offense, leadthepack but a) there are no round pipe sections to attach to, $99 + $15 for the Bracket doesn't sound cheap to me, and every mount I've seen on an arm of any length vibrates. My eyesight is bad enough as it is.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I have a "refurbished Nuvi" (less than $100 USD) with the RAM mount.
I use a shower cap with elastic hair bands to keep it dry in the rain. It's worked for many years!
My latest GPS has lifetime maps so I update it each spring.

Reactions: ALL4BMW
1 - 6 of 6 Posts