Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers Dan... now I know who to hit up... :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Darn I am on travel will have to check but I already have 3 on hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have bought one of this starters. They work perfectly. Have flushed the ehcs, and refilled it with new oil. Is it possible to overfill the kit only with flushing? I put a plastic bottle over the filling hole (the one with a spring and ball) and opened up the 3 screws, from left to right, one at the time. I filled every hole until it came out new oil and no bubbles. I'm not sure about the exact amount of oil because I had to get out all the air. Can I have overfilled it, or is it not possible the way I did it? I just mounted the new motor today and at first the piston did not work, the I did as described above, then the piston got working when I connected it to a car battery. Have not put it back on the bike because I'm afraid that a heavier load may cause the unit to crash if I have overfilled it. Is this something I have to be worried about? PS! I hope all you understand what I mean, I'm not an English spoken person :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Have bought one of this starters. They work perfectly. Have flushed the ehcs, and refilled it with new oil. Is it possible to overfill the kit only with flushing? I put a plastic bottle over the filling hole (the one with a spring and ball) and opened up the 3 screws, from left to right, one at the time. I filled every hole until it came out new oil and no bubbles. I'm not sure about the exact amount of oil because I had to get out all the air. Can I have overfilled it, or is it not possible the way I did it? I just mounted the new motor today and at first the piston did not work, the I did as described above, then the piston got working when I connected it to a car battery. Have not put it back on the bike because I'm afraid that a heavier load may cause the unit to crash if I have overfilled it. Is this something I have to be worried about? PS! I hope all you understand what I mean, I'm not an English spoken person :)
Yes you can over fill the EHCS, don't ask how I know:frown:.

If you go to this link you will see some links to information on rebuild & adding fluid.

Hope this helps.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Yes you can crack the reservoir case if you put too much in. I recommend taking it back off. Open the big black 17 mm bolt at the base (it is a spigot). You can drain and fill from that hole while pushing the shaft in to a solid surface. No need to open any other fittings.

Now use a large syringe and fill it 50 mls at a time as you compress the piston. As the piston goes in it will suck in the fluid. Once it sucks no more cover the hole with your thumb and cycle the piston and repeat. Put NO MORE that 140 ml of oil in the unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes you can crack the reservoir case if you put too much in. I recommend taking it back off. Open the big black 17 mm bolt at the base (it is a spigot). You can drain and fill from that hole while pushing the shaft in to a solid surface. No need to open any other fittings.

Now use a large syringe and fill it 50 mls at a time as you compress the piston. As the piston goes in it will suck in the fluid. Once it sucks no more cover the hole with your thumb and cycle the piston and repeat. Put NO MORE that 140 ml of oil in the unit.
Ok, thx, I'll do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drained the actuator today, got ca 110 ml out. When draining I used the 19mm "nut" on the side and pushed the piston in& out till it was empty. When refilling I only get about 70 ml in. Have tried several times to get more oil in without luck. Have pushed the piston in&out several times. I used a syringe and added oil while pressing the piston in. Hooked up the actuator to a car battery and the piston goes all the way in. If it was to little out it would't go all the way, right? Hopefully it will work when mounted on the bike as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: After mounting actuator on the bike, the ehcs did't lift the bike. I believe it was to little oil. Then I took it apart AGAIN :) and filled oil in the small holes on top as I did before. It was a lot of air bubbles coming out. Now it's working :) The only thing I'm worry about is if I have overfilled the unit. I stopped filling when I saw the bubbles were gone.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I purchased a new Centerstand motor ( Honda CH80 Elite 80 CC starter motor ) from
Discount Starter Alternator
531 N. Jefferson St.
Milledgeville, Ga. 31061
[email protected]
1 800 796 9394

SKU # 18853N (fits perfectly works great)
Cost $26.50

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Update: After mounting actuator on the bike, the ehcs did't lift the bike. I believe it was to little oil. Then I took it apart AGAIN :) and filled oil in the small holes on top as I did before. It was a lot of air bubbles coming out. Now it's working :) The only thing I'm worry about is if I have overfilled the unit. I stopped filling when I saw the bubbles were gone.

You are probably OK based on what you drained and the little you added. I base the 140 ml on a complete tear down and splitting of the case halves for cleaning. So that is a bone dry number. The alternative is to add like you did and if it does not lift add 10 ml and try again. It will not lift if it 20 ml low. That way you don't add too much.

Reactions: cws

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
If you check the compatibility drop down this message appears!

This part is not compatible with 2000 BMW K1200LT Standard.:surprise:

Checked it for 2005 and got the same message.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I just checked and got the same message. However, I suspect that the crossreference listing is for starter motor applications (an 80cc Honda scooter) as opposed to a BMW hydraulic center stand. :wave

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Since BMW did not deem the unit repairable it will never cross.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Should this thread be a sticky?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts