BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in trying a backrest for an upcoming trip of about 2,500 miles. I'm unwilling to spend $300+ to TRY a backrest to determine if:

1. I like it
2. I don't like it
3. I might like a different one

So ... I see new one's on eBay that look like a similar design and style to Backup. They range from $88 (new) to $175 (new) and then, of course, jump up to $300+ for the name brands. I'm old enough to understand the concept, "you usually get what you pay for". What I want is a comfortable support for my back that will last for two weeks. Has anyone tried one of the eBay "cheapies" and willing to offer their input?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
bought one for $139 and so far so good, I've had it for about 3 months.....not sure of the difference other than the cost.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Frank! Do you recall the brand - or the website - or the eBay store?

Jeff

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Jeff,
I have one from ebay, paid 88.00 new, nice chrome and cover. Fits between seats, same bolts to retain pillion seat. The only thing I can say negative and really just a personal preference is, it could use lower vertical adjustment, possibly padding cover around stem for passenger. Had one made for 15.00. I bought it to fill in between long x-countries and short day trips. Long x-countries, I remove and pack gear to serve as backrest. I think it might restrict width of gear resting on pillion. Not sure if a more expensive one would function any different. Does a great job for me.

Good luck on your trip.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Rick,
Does the one you have provide good support? Based on the price, guessing you have the one with the welded "wire" frame and not the stamped steel frame. Looks like is not too sturdy if one were to lean back against it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have one of the welded hoop looking ones from ebay also. It has worked great. It provides good support and the pad is fairly comfortable. Only issue I have had/am having is that after 3 plus years of using it the vinyl cover is starting to wear through and come apart. I'm going to go to the local auto upholstery shop and have them make a new cover (they zip off) and a cover for the adjusting mech.

·
Registered
476 Posts
piper1612000 said:
Hi Jeff,
I have one from ebay, paid 88.00 new, nice chrome and cover. Fits between seats, same bolts to retain pillion seat. The only thing I can say negative and really just a personal preference is, it could use lower vertical adjustment, possibly padding cover around stem for passenger. Had one made for 15.00. I bought it to fill in between long x-countries and short day trips. Long x-countries, I remove and pack gear to serve as backrest. I think it might restrict width of gear resting on pillion. Not sure if a more expensive one would function any different. Does a great job for me.

Good luck on your trip.
This sounds the same as mine, with the exact same comments on the negatives. I'm very happy wiht mine also.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought the stamped steel $188 version from Foxconn at EBay. My only complaint is that the vinyl covering wore out in the first four months.

Fortunately, my wife sews and has a machine that can sew heavy fabrics, so making a custom replacement was not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
eremite06 said:
Do they make any cheapos that slip into a Corbin low seat?
what happened? Did you spend all your money on the Corbin? :D Just teasin'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought one off ebay...site that makes them, it has a steel frame that is an easy on, bolts right to the pillion section. Sturdy. Adjustable. If you have a Corbin that was customized to have an extended portion back to the pillion...it probably wouldn't work but my guess is that Corbin probably followed the contour of your seat pan and the back rest would work fine. The materials used, as stated above, will probably need to be reupholstered after awhile BUT for the price you can't beat it. Because the LT seat comes up in the back for a slight relief on your arse this will come up higher on your back...and with the adjustments you can make...it will work nicely. I also send my seat our to Mean City Cycles to lower the foam and put in memory foam...it's worth looking them up...incredibly reasonable pricing and a very good job.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Razz2234 said:
...I also send my seat our to Mean City Cycles to lower the foam and put in memory foam...it's worth looking them up...incredibly reasonable pricing and a very good job.
not to change the subject, but how has this worked out for you? Have you done any long trips on it?

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
There's one in the Classifieds right now with an asking price of $300.00.

·
Registered
476 Posts
bikerj said:
not to change the subject, but how has this worked out for you? Have you done any long trips on it?
At the risk of de-railing the thread, I'm also intrigued. I had these guys do my VTX seats 4 years ago and that seat is fantastic for a VTX. Intrigued by the K1200LT which starts out as a better seat....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts