BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery charging thru power port I have tried to float charge my battery w/BMW battery minder and red light blinks indicating incorrect connection, if I cycle the ignition key it is steady red for about a minute and goes back to flashing red flashin green =charging steady green= charged was up? :confused:

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I've gotten inconsistant results in the past on my 97 RT, 00 LT, and 99 RT charging through the power ports. I now connect a charging lead directly to the battery and leave the end on the outside of the fairing someplace to connect to. It works much better.

·
Registered
472 Posts
What year and model bike? What charger and how old is it? The CANBUS bikes shut down the power outlets after a minute. Only the new BMW chargers are able to charge thru that port.
Short of buying a new charger, a solution is to add a second power port. The R1200 RT has a spot on the right rear made for it. I added one there and wired it directly to the battery so that the ZFE can't mess with it. A simple Battery Tender Jr charges the bike just fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank Greg, my bike is a 2011 R1200 RT and what you describe is just what happens when I try and charge through the port. :)

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
You can charge via the Powerlet socket... using a BMW branded battery charger but...

You must do it the way it was intended. There is a specific sequence to the dance.

Consult your instructions, search the web or even better call or visit your dealer for a briefing on the procedure.

If you do not wish to do it the BMW way- then you will have to install a direct to battery charging set-up. This would be easy, and very inexpensive, but then you would have to have a proper charger as the BMW model charger probably would not work.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If a new charger is a possibility you can get one for less than the BMW branded one. Search the web for an Optimate 4 Dual. You can find it for about $60. It claims to be able to charge through the OE port on CANBUS equipped bikes.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It is very handy to have the port rewried directly to the battery. Better for heated gear. phone charging and you don't need to do the canbus dance/canbus friendly charger.

If you have other accesories wired through an Aux. fuse panel you cna wire the soccket into it also.

Also alllows more wattage through the front and rear socket since you by pass the ZFE and don't have th draw limits of the canbus/ZFE system. EVen if you leave the rear socket through ZFE your passenger can use it up to the draw limit and the the driver has carte blanche to the battery.

I use BMW's non-cnabus charger (Which is really a Deltran in disguise) And I like not have to remove and install the seat ever time I want to charge or remove the charger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GRB60 said:
If a new charger is a possibility you can get one for less than the BMW branded one. Search the web for an Optimate 4 Dual. You can find it for about $60. It claims to be able to charge through the OE port on CANBUS equipped bikes.
Indeed it does - I have an Optimate 4 Dual and it charges my '12 RT perfectly through the accessory socket! :)

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
FWIW... I installed a Powerlet Socket under the edge of the passenger seat on the left hand side tail-piece.

This plug's wires run toward the battery but has an SAE plug in the run so that I can plug in certain accessories that I might need on the road, such as the 12v Tire pump- which I used in the dessert loneliness for a flat tire.

The run of course goes to the battery with an in-line fuse. At home I put a powerlet plug on my battery tender... just plugs right into the tail piece socket- clean as a whistle. If you do this just be mindful of the various male/female switches on the run. Make sure your battery charger is happy- polarity-wise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm getting an opinion from the dealer, as that is who I bought the float charger from but I am also going to install a direct to battery port as described in previous posts. Thanks for the feedback. Ride safe! :bmw:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I bought a BMW battery tender with the 07' LT. It worked through the power outlet, but since it came with three leads (power outlet, alligator clips and leads for the battery, I finally went with the leads about 2 Yr. back and it charges fine and seems faster than when I was plugging it in. The tail of the wire has a plug cover and it just goes back under the seat when not in use..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts