BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the hose from the charcoal that runs down the left side of the bike goes? Will I have to remove the tank to get to it? (2009 KLT) Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, the hose is loose from the fuel rail. I need to know where it hooks up on the fuel rail as I can't leave it open on the engine.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Here is where it goes to the fuel rail area. The green arrow points to the solenoid connector. The red circle is the line from the canister and the white circle is the lines going to the TB for vacuum. And yes you will have to at least disconnect and lift the tank to get to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, I laid the bike down and have been rebuilding it for a month now. Got it running and ran about a half tank through it and it died a block from my house. I took the gas cap off and heard hissing sound. Checked with bmw shop and they said I probably pinched a hose from the gas tank to the charcoal canister. So I took bike clear apart and sure enough I found about an inch that was smashed. Rerouted the hose and just put the stingray on to see if it would start. Started right up and ran for 10 minutes. So I put everything back together. It started right up and ran for about 5 minutes and then died and now wont start. Looking for advice. Think I can take this thing apart in my sleep but is discouraging to say the least. Bike is 09LT with 6000mi. Thanks for the diagram. I now have the charcoal canister connected correctly. Thinking I may need a case of beer before taking apart again.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
John, I laid the bike down and have been rebuilding it for a month now. Got it running and ran about a half tank through it and it died a block from my house. I took the gas cap off and heard hissing sound. Checked with bmw shop and they said I probably pinched a hose from the gas tank to the charcoal canister. So I took bike clear apart and sure enough I found about an inch that was smashed. Rerouted the hose and just put the stingray on to see if it would start. Started right up and ran for 10 minutes. So I put everything back together. It started right up and ran for about 5 minutes and then died and now wont start. Looking for advice. Think I can take this thing apart in my sleep but is discouraging to say the least. Bike is 09LT with 6000mi. Thanks for the diagram. I now have the charcoal canister connected correctly. Thinking I may need a case of beer before taking apart again.
Usually sudden death on an LT means one of the fuel filter hose connections has come loose. Worth a check with a flashlight looking through the filler opening, cycle the key a few times to run the pump. Look for swirling gas.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Recheck the gas cap for negative pressure. While you found a pinched hose, your vent hose to atmosphere may be plugged as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, I hate to admit this but when I performed this check with the flash light I didn't see any fuel in the tank. I added some fuel and it started right up. I was relying solely on the fuel gage which indicated I had a half a tank. I guess when the bike hi-sided it did something to the float. I did have a problem with the smashed hose, so I needed to take it apart and reroute it. Also had to hook the hose to the connection on the fuel rail. I really appreciate everyone's help. What an asset you are to to people like me. Just sorry to tax everyone's brain with something simple. I have so much faith in the LT as a whole I didn't question the instruments. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts