BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change my front tire and put an Avon Storm on it. I know I'm suppose to line up a mark with the valve stem, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I some tires there is a colored dot, but I don't see that on the Storms :confused:

·
Registered
794 Posts
It doesn't matter with Avon tires...

There must be absolutely no quality control at the factory.
I computer balance tires and the Avons are always the worst with an unexceptable amount of wheel weight, average 4oz.

Good luck with them. With the NC road conditions and my riding stlye, I was only able to get 2K miles out of a set.

I am back on the MEtz and have passed the 2K mark and still have over half the tread life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello , I just installed a new set of avons on my k1200 lt and found that there was no dots on the side walls of the front but found one on the rear ,wich was in line with the yellow numbers on the inside of the tire. However when it came to ballanceing these tires the rear took 2.5 oz of weight and the front wanted 4oz so I bkoke the tire down and rotated 180* and it took 1/4oz verry nice! I had done of resurch into the tire debate on this site and found that the avons and one other mfg are the only one with the right speed and load rating , took stones off my bike no way again , noisey and wore verry funny,one other thing dont for get to run 3to5 lbs more psi in the avons than they call for. and yes I do have my own tire machine( no-mar ).

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I installed new Bridgestone BT 20's (bias ply) a while back. At the same time I installed metal valve stems. I balanced the rims after installing the valves without the tires installed. Needed a 1/4 ounce exactly across from the valves on both wheels.

Installed the tires with the dots at the valve stems. Both wheels with the tires installed were 100% in balance, no additional weights needed. VERY IMPRESSIVE. I used a Marc Parnes balancer. The bike rides perfectly smooth at any speed even hands off. I believe if a new tire needs 2+ ounces of weights there is a problem. Out of round wheels, bead not seated, or a poor quality tire.

To me, this proves that that the answer to the various front end shake issues is perfectly round and balanced wheels and tires.

Mine is a 99 with 40K and the original shocks and steering damper.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts