BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing my first set of tires on my 2005 RT that I’ve owned for less than a year. The rear tire had a belt separation last weekend while my wife and I were going down the road at about 75. All of a sudden it felt like we where running on the warning track at the edge of road. Bike was amazing well behaved with the flat. We came to a stop and found the rear tire flat with a blow-thru where the steel belt failed. I have ordered a set of PR4’s and will mount and balance as soon as they arrive (I have the equipment to do so).

My question is this --- Is the valve stem used on RT’s the standard automotive size? In other words, is the hole in the rim the same size as is commonly used in automotive tires or is it some strange BMW size that requires you to go to the dealer and sell your first born so you can afford to buy what should be a $1 part?:)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I will be installing my first set of tires on my 2005 RT that I’ve owned for less than a year. The rear tire had a belt separation last weekend while my wife and I were going down the road at about 75. All of a sudden it felt like we where running on the warning track at the edge of road. Bike was amazing well behaved with the flat. We came to a stop and found the rear tire flat with a blow-thru where the steel belt failed. I have ordered a set of PR4’s and will mount and balance as soon as they arrive (I have the equipment to do so).

My question is this --- Is the valve stem used on RT’s the standard automotive size? In other words, is the hole in the rim the same size as is commonly used in automotive tires or is it some strange BMW size that requires you to go to the dealer and sell your first born so you can afford to buy what should be a $1 part?:)

All the same. I bought some of the metals ones that have nuts to tighten them. much easier than trying to pull the rubber thru. unless you have the tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
AA question ? My friend has 2002 LT & was curious if anyone has used a car tire on back wheel? I have a 2003 Honda Goldwing & many of us run car tire on rear as the Runflat is safer & we get many, many total miles on a car tire.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The hole is 15mm. Wunderlich has them for $2.00, look around for something else you may need while there. But your comment. A buck gets you the Chinese knock off that lasts a few months or more if lucky. I change lots of tires for folks. I had a bag of the cheap ones and tossed it after two failed. I now use the mentioned Wunderlich ones. The vast majority of valves at auto dealers are Asian. No way for this buckaroo, unless some sort of quality assurance is involved. And, the auto ones are too long. If you use the right angle metal ones (or any metal ones for that matter, make sure you file a flat surface on the rim for the nut/washer to seat flat, if not it tilts and tilts the inside seal part.
Rubber Tire Valve, D15mm w/ cap Replacement Parts 3631064 | BMW Wunderlich America

As to the off topic car tire on a bike, :eek2: . I know wingers do this, good grief. Wait until something serious happens and your insurance company finds out you have a car tire on a motorcycle. The beads are different, the belts are different.....no way you can say this is safer just because it is a run flat that is stiff as a board. Really, this is foolish and takes some of the motorcycle handling enjoyment from the game.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts