BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the second time I`ve changed the oil, and the second time this scenario has occurred ; When I take off the oil filter cover, the oil is draining from that location, all of it.The first time it happened, I thought that the oil filter was loose, as I later found it to be, and when I reinstalled it, made sure that the filter was on correctly. This time, the same thing happened again, however the filter was not loose. Took the filter off, checked for defects, found none, reinstalled the filter, and this time I did not put the oil filter cover on before refilling with oil. As I pourd the oil in the fill hole, it ran out from around the oil filter. Is this supposed to happen? The bike runs perfectly during normal operation, no leaks, no knocking, I just have this weird occurance when I change the oil. Whats up ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check very carefully that the previous filter gasket didn't become stuck to the engine frame. This can happen, resulting in two gaskets, which by the way, is NOT better than one. If you found yourself with two gaskets, it will not seal, resulting in oil spilling over and outside of the filter.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The filter is in the oil pan immersed in engine oil, I drain the oil with the drain plug before removing the filter access cover, easer to drain without a big mess

·
Registered
216 Posts
Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but the filter is in a wet sump on this bike.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
tenrocky said:
So this is the second time I`ve changed the oil, and the second time this scenario has occurred ; When I take off the oil filter cover, the oil is draining from that location, all of it.The first time it happened, I thought that the oil filter was loose, as I later found it to be, and when I reinstalled it, made sure that the filter was on correctly. This time, the same thing happened again, however the filter was not loose. Took the filter off, checked for defects, found none, reinstalled the filter, and this time I did not put the oil filter cover on before refilling with oil. As I pourd the oil in the fill hole, it ran out from around the oil filter. Is this supposed to happen? The bike runs perfectly during normal operation, no leaks, no knocking, I just have this weird occurance when I change the oil. Whats up ?
Follow the procedure that is posted in the "Featured Articles" section of the Home Page.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=4

You'll see where/why you had the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the access panel for the oil filter is simply that, a removable panel to change the filter. And this scenario that I have is legitimate. Thank you gentleman for your quick responces. Always a pleasure getting a straight quick answer from those that know.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You will get there Tom, not to worry. Check out the link Dick posted.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
a lot of us use the oil filter access panel to drain the oil instead of the oil drain plug, but use one of the three screws on the panel to regulate the oil flow.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Tom,
You don't need to remove the oil drain plug. Just loosen 2 of the 3 screws holding the filter cover. Once you start to loosen the 3rd one, the oil will start to flow. You'll have to remove all three screws to get to the filter. Yes, there's oil on the cover and the screws, but it'll be there even if you drain from the plug first. The filter is in the engine sump, so if you don't put the cover back, the oil will flow out faster than you can put it in. If you forget to put the cover on, you'll be reminded pretty quickly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lee510 said:
Tom,
You don't need to remove the oil drain plug. Just loosen 2 of the 3 screws holding the filter cover. Once you start to loosen the 3rd one, the oil will start to flow. You'll have to remove all three screws to get to the filter. Yes, there's oil on the cover and the screws, but it'll be there even if you drain from the plug first. The filter is in the engine sump, so if you don't put the cover back, the oil will flow out faster than you can put it in. If you forget to put the cover on, you'll be reminded pretty quickly.
Doesn't the drain plug have a magnet to collect metal particles-if any- and that should be cleaned?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
lesn said:
Doesn't the drain plug have a magnet to collect metal particles-if any- and that should be cleaned?
Not any that I've ever seen. I guess that would be 3. Tranny and FD have magnets on the drain plugs. Engine has the oil filter to catch any loose particles. You can buy oil drain plugs with magnets. Dimple is one manufacturer that comes to mind. I've seen them at the BMW dealer in Charlotte. They do have one powerful magnet on them. Not sure that it would be needed since there is a filter. Dimple makes plugs for the tranny and FD too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts