BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 LT and have never seen the engine! Just wondering where to start and in what order do you try to get to it? The dealer says it's not that hard but there is an order to removing pieces and clips tabs etc. and to be careful not to break things off. Any help would be appreciated. I am fairly mechanically inclined but any pictures or visuals would be helpful.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Howdy, Benny..
Start here: http://www.bmwlt.com/files/thumbnails.php?album=15&page=2

download the "tupperware" files... they will instruct you on removing the "tupperware" covers on the bike.

Next, in the center of the motor's head (on left side of bike) you will see a black cover. remove the screws and plugs are beneath it.

Be sure to "clean" the area well before you pull the plugs.

Use some dielectric on plugs insulation and plug boot when reinstalling..

Of course you do NOT want to pull on the wires very hard as you can break the internal circuit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Use the search "tupperware removal" you will find the help you need.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If you're there anyway, why not check the valve clearance??

I waited to replace my plugs until the clearance was checked. Just an idea. Two birds-One stone.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
First time I changed the plugs I order two plugs and two valve cover gaskets! (force of habit).

Then, after getting two more plugs, I had to buy a plug socket for those plugs.

Checking the valve gaps was easy with the bike on the center stand and the plugs removed. I wrote them down on paper and taped the paper to the side of my tool box.

Bob

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Sounds like a good time to get a "tech session" together where some other riders can help you the first time. It is not that hard, but could be a great time to learn to do more of your own maintenance. Not much more to replace air and fuel filters too. Those are a bit more involved, but not too bad. Good time to lube the shifter too. You may want someone to help you that first time as it can be a daunting task until you've done it.

Once you learn to undress her, it get's easier. You can have the side panels off in a matter of a few minutes, once you've done it a time or two.

Good luck
Randy

·
Registered
49 Posts
bennybeemer said:
I have a 2003 LT and have never seen the engine!
Well if thats the case and those are the original spark plugs (now 5+ years old), then I'd recommend applying anti-seize compound to the new ones you are installing. Dissimilar metals don't go well together.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would recommend getting the movie put out by Paul Sayeh.

It is a 'home made' but takes the fear away of getting
into all the plastic parts.

The cost of the movie will pay for itself easily if
you decide to take your bike to a shop for the routine
stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts