BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there
Just a quick question........ recently bought a 2000lt getting on great with the thing except I cannot work out how to change down without an almighty clonk from the gearbox . Going up through the box is fine just downshifts .It gets embarassing when people turn and stare.
Thanks Hovis

·
Registered
558 Posts
I only notice that when I shift down from 5th to 4th. What I try to do is pull in the clutch and wait a second or two, then push down. It usually makes for a quiet shift.

You might change the gear oil to make sure that the right stuff is in there. You could switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ayuh, welcome to the world of BMW motorcycle gearboxes. There is no syncromesh, so basically a big dog throws a gear shaft at the output shaft without the rotational speed being syncronized first. I think of the "clonk" being the equivalent of "WTH, you woke me up from a sound sleep, couldn't you have given me some notice?" Synthetic gear oil quiets it to some extent, in my experience, but it's a byproduct of the engineering. And BTW, the "clonk" may alert people to look in your direction, but the reason they stare is because you are riding an incredibly beautiful machine and they wish they had one too ;).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Have not had that problem with my 2000LT

It shifts quietly in both directions near as I can tell.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine "klonks" going into first gear sometimes.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Takes a while to get the hang of it. Can shift mine up or down without the clutch and without it banging. Synthetic lube helps. Just get the rpms right and it'll slide right in, have them wrong and it bangs.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
yup.. what Gunny and others say.. When I shift, I pull in the clutch lever slightly.. about where it would normally start to slip, nudge the shift lever and I'm on my way .. up or down gears.. smmmoottthh.... to steal a great quote... "like buttah"

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I find if I shift down too early into first while still moving, it "clonks" more than if I wait til I a about stopped. Other gears don;t seem to be as bad, but I often blip the throotle on downshifts to help it.

Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts