BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, anyone familiar with the process for changing out a manual with a EHCS unit . It's a 2001 K1200 LT. Not concerned with wiring just the procedure for install. I do have a engine hoist available. Will i need that to hang bike while removing one centerstand and replacing it with the other one? If so does anyone know exactly where to rig straps for lifting. Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Apart from the control circuit it is pretty much a one for one swap. My bike is on 05 and should have come with an EHCS but it had been removed by the previous owner. When I replaced mine I went out and bought a floor stand, the front wheel clamp type. It didn't cost much and I figured it would be very handy in the future. With your older model you of course won't have the control circuit in place and there are a few interlocks in the system to prevent activation at an inappropriate moment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wazza, So if i can get a wheel type floor stand that will lock onto the front wheel then that would hold it steady so i can then get under it to make the swap. Did you have to jack bike up any? Lastly do you remember where you got that stand?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,192 Posts
I use a Baxley Chock but Harbor Freight has a similar one look HERE. Just secure the front forks to the stand as you will be pulling some heavy bolts to remove the old center stand assembly. I presume you have a 05 stand with actuator and cradle to install?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks Wazza, So if i can get a wheel type floor stand that will lock onto the front wheel then that would hold it steady so i can then get under it to make the swap. Did you have to jack bike up any? Lastly do you remember where you got that stand?
No I didn't need to jack it up. The chock type stand I bought from a local dealer here in Australia called Super Cheep. One extra thing I did was to blot it to the floor in the garage for a bit of added security. I also strapped it down with a ratchet strap on each side from the front wheel struts just above the mudguard down to the floor to make a diagonal support, solid as a rock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Baxley wheel chock here. I use them for any bike without a working centerstand. For most bikes I don’t even use straps, they are so solid.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Oh I would use straps, as you can see in my picture the old girl is so heavy she cracked the floor.
Only joking 😜

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to Everyone... I just got back from Harbour Freight and with 20% off coupon walked out of there with the chock/ Stand for $53.02 tax and all. I'm super stoked to get this underway and will let everyone know hoe it goes. Thanks again...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all, anyone familiar with the process for changing out a manual with a EHCS unit . It's a 2001 K1200 LT. Not concerned with wiring just the procedure for install. I do have a engine hoist available. Will i need that to hang bike while removing one centerstand and replacing it with the other one? If so does anyone know exactly where to rig straps for lifting. Any help will be much appreciated.
Begging a answer to my question, what is the "EHCS" ? Am not familiar with that acronym.
RRGary

·
Registered
245 Posts
Begging a answer to my question, what is the "EHCS" ? Am not familiar with that acronym.
RRGary
It's the Electrosexual Hydramatic Copulatory Suppository. You can look it up.

Oh, wait -- wrong forum. 😅

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's the Electrosexual Hydramatic Copulatory Suppository. You can look it up.

Oh, wait -- wrong forum. 😅
Yeah I'd say so on the above. Do know what ESA is though.
Gary

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah I'd say so on the above. Do know what ESA is though.
Gary
Yes, of course. Excellent Super Autobumpsucker. Loosely translated from the original German.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would like to publically thank John Zeiler for his help in sending me an exchange unit. It works perfectly. I would definitely recommend him and it was a pleasure doing business with him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts