BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to tackle the task of changing the coolant. I have a link to an article about doing so but it doesn't clearly address how to empty the old coolant. Is there a drain plug or do you have to disconnect a hose?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Drain Plug is temp Sensor on watter/oil pump housing

retiredjj said:
I am about to tackle the task of changing the coolant. I have a link to an article about doing so but it doesn't clearly address how to empty the old coolant. Is there a drain plug or do you have to disconnect a hose?
You remove the coolant temp. sensor to drain(on my 02). It is next to oil pressure sensor.
If memory servers it is the one closer to the bottom near front bottom of engine (actually the watter and oil pump housing). You just slide off the single sensor wire and unbolt from pump housing and get ready for a splash. :D
You will also need to take off the left side tuperware to reload(get to the cap) and also drain the recovery bottle under the pilot seat(remove hose from cap housing and pull down to drain)
Just did mine last week.
Followed instructions from the clymer and all is well after a few trips. :cool:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Coolant Change

The drain plug is the coolant temperature switch. Be especially caution when you tighten it back. The torque is 9 Nm or 80 in.-lb. It is copper and and very easy to break off. Believe me because I did it. I would not even use the torque wrench it will not leak if tight.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
retiredjj said:
The Repair Manual tells you to remove the coolant temp sensor under the pump -- I never have, because I don't like the idea of opening a non-leaking, sealed fitting if I don't have to.

I've always removed the lower end of the big hose that comes into the side of the pump (rider's right side). It's bottom edge is at nearly the same level as the coolant temp sensor hole, so you get essentially the same amount of drainage. Just remember to do it slowly, or you'll be shocked by how fast a gallon or so of coolant can spread across your garage floor! :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. The operation begins right after I get back from the M/C show at the Cardinals Stadium this evening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts