BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring I bought my first BMW motorcycle,a 2003 K1200LT. The maintenance schedule requires that the brake fluid be changed every year. I have always done all my service work myself. The manual calls for special tools like a piston resetting tool , a filler bottle, and some spacers to hold back the pistons. Should I buy the tools? Improvise? Take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I have the 2000LT so changing the fluid is very basic. I did purchase the spacer tool which you can insert it in one of the front calipers while you push the pistons back on the other. My piston resetting tool is just a screw driver to push the piston back in place, or large channel locks will work. From there I empty the brake cylinder with a paper towel, put new fluid in it, and open the bleeder. I usually let the fluid flush out just by gravity, it may take a little longer, but I have never had any problems. Your 2003 LT may have the electric brakes which require a entirely different way of bleeding.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Hi TRANSMAN,

Your '03 has the power Integral brakes. It is possible to change the brake fluid yourself, but it is a bit complicated. There is a write up in our Technical section that explains the procedure. Read that, and if you still want to do the work, go for it. Otherwise, find a good dealer nearby and let them do it. A full brake, ABS, and clutch flush on my '02 was around $200.

To find the write up, click on the Technical link in the upper left corner (near the bike pictures), then click on Hall of Wisdom. On the new page, click on the Maintenance link, then click on (a) Brake System. Under section 1. Fluid change (Integral/EVO system) are two good links to the info that you need.

If you have more questions after that, feel free to ask away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OMFG! Just read the integral brake fluid change procedure. I do believe that this is something I will not attempt. Of course, I'm just being a pessimist, because I'm sure that if I do it 10 to 20 times, I'll be able to get it correct in 30 minutes or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts