BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is convinced it's a sickness and my kids tell their friends I'm suffering a mid-life crisis. Beauty is that I don't care what any of them think!

I rode Harleys in my 30's and early 40's. Bought my first BMW (R1200C) and had it for a couple of years. Great bike but I sold it for more weather protection and some touring and bought a R1100RT. Great bike but I never could get comfortable. Tried bar risers and seat jacks but my neck was always sore. Sold it and bought a R1150GS. Great bike but now I'm looking for some comfort when touring. The GS is a great bike for Colorado and I've taken a couple of longer (2000-3000 miles) rides on it and I love it for short rides and around town. But as I see more moons I gotta have some comfort.

I'm ready to pull the trigger and get an LT but I have one primary concern. Is the thing going to sit in the garage until I'm ready to take a trip? I want a daily ride much like I'm riding the GS.

Wife says I can only ride one bike at a time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I commute on mine just about every day, and even share lanes on the freeway in California...

No reason not to ride it everywhere! :)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
IMHO I think you'll find out that the LT is as much of a "daily rider" as any of your other bikes... It.s very nimble, its relatively quick and.... comfortable.
The one thing I did to mine is remove the "turnk" and install a Fort Worth luggage rack. Makes it look a little sportier. It only takes about 15-20 minutes to swap on or off so its easily ready if you need the extra storage space for a trip.
Get the bike...so what all your friends and family think your crazy....

·
Registered
855 Posts
The LT can be used as an "every day rider". It's nimble enough for daily "around town" riding, but a nice light weight bike is a nice addition no matter what the wife says......

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I commuted daily, 35 miles each way in Southern California traffic, lane splitting 2-3 miles every morning and afternoon. Loved the LT, saw nothing I would rather have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cruisin92

I commute to work on my LT just about every day since I bought it in August. I carry a lot of stuff so the luggage capacity is perfect. I don't have any freeways to travel. My average speed is less than 30 mph with plenty of stop and go. Yes it is a but cumbersome at times with all the stop and go, but I wouldn't trade it for anything smaller. It is fast and nimble and can be a lot of fun even in traffic.
Go for it, you won't regret it.

Steve
2000 Champagne LTC

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
There are days when I JUST ride my LT. And there are days when I JUST ride my Ninja. But the BESTEST days are when I ride my LT AND my Ninja!!!

If you gotta explain it . . . they won't understand anyway!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I ride every day - in traffic and on the highway, shopping, commuting, fetch my boy from school, long trips two up. The great thing about the LT is that it is so versatile. Thats why I bought it. It is far more comfortable in traffic than my previous bike ( Honda Blackbird ) and I think far more visible for the cages.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Guess I have the only dissenting opinion. Didn't plan this to be a trip only bike, but that's what it has turned out to be. I live in a large metro area, and just do not relish heavy traffic on this bike. Doing the 4-5 mph stop and go traffic crawl on this bike ranks right down there with some of the least fun things I have done on a bike. In addition, with the purchase of this bike, and no doubt my advancing years, I have seen the wisdom of riding in full gear. Sometimes it just seems like more trouble than it's worth to get suited up to go two miles to get a loaf of bread. The bike is capable of doing a lot of things, I just find I don't ride it for everyday use like I have my others. Love it on trips, and in fact, leaving tomorrow for Deal's Gap area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
LT Daily Use

Well,

Sorry guys if I don't agree with the majority!
I don't think LT is the right bike to ride in the every day heavy traffic. I have allready bumped at low speed against a car mirror and bike left mirror has fallen on the ground ( I will tiewrap the 2 mirrors because I don't like it would occur again). It's true that french speedways (slow in the moring and in the evening) are very narrow.
I am using the old trophy for riding in the every day traffic. If anything occurs it won't cost a lot!
More, be carefull with the maintenance bill if you ride the LT every day.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Many people test ride the LT before buying it.

Local dealer here suggest I take a half day ride down to Tombstone.

It was in the 90s heading for over 100F, so my wife and I decided just to go thru Tucson to the interstate and up the interstate for a few miles. We got off the interstate, rode a few roads near where we live, and then brought the bike back. Neither of us needed more time on it to know if it suited our needs.

Bob

·
Registered
237 Posts
Daily rider

I ride mine to work every day. Once you are used to it you will see the benefits. Then on weekends and longer trips there is the comfort and fun factor to enjoy.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Ghost55 said:
In addition, with the purchase of this bike, and no doubt my advancing years, I have seen the wisdom of riding in full gear. Sometimes it just seems like more trouble than it's worth to get suited up to go two miles to get a loaf of bread.
So you wouldn't have to gear up to ride a smaller bike? That's all part of it. And who says you have to only ride it two miles to get a loaf of bread. There are plenty of stores that sell bread much further away from you. ;) :D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I ride most days to work on mine (a 20 minute in city commute). The exceptions being when it is too hot (upper nineties) or when it is raining. I bought a Gerbings jacket and plan on using it for most of the winter. Many afternoons we get on it for a short trip around the lake and sometimes just to cruise around the city. So yeah, go for it

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
messenger13 said:
There are plenty of stores that sell bread much further away from you. ;) :D
Now that's what I'm talking about! ;) Connie doesn't understand 1 1/2 hour trip for milk and bread. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
That I would like to see

Joe,

I am thinking of selling tickets to see you ride both the LT and the Ninja, I gather you are talking about at the same time?

Stuart

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lt?

Thanks for the input. Just read the thread about a removed top box. Would like to see a pic of the bike with the box removed if anyone has one.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Probably got this reply somewhere in the thread. Maybe you should consider keeping the GS and get an LT also . . . and while at it get a K12S/R to round out your rides. That's what I have done.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Daily driver

I to ride everyday in the Northwest...
I think the LT is a perfect daily driver
Come rain or shine there is more rain than shine from Oct.-March :)
I do draw the line at ice and more than a dustin of snow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts