BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked in the FAQ's, if I've missed something obvious, mea cupla, please point me in the right direction. :)

I've been researching LT's as my next bike, and what I'm finding (not unusual for motorcycles) is that there are a bunch of early models with low mileage available. (I'm looking at a 2000 with 14,000 miles on the clock, and anotheer 2003 with 30k)

I know the powered center stand was introduced later (2005?) but are there other gotchas, anything that would make it important to look for a 45,000 mile 2006 bike, rather than a 14,000 mile 2000 bike? (or a $4500 1999 with 100,000 miles...although that's WAY outside my comfort zone.)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had the same question when I bought my LT 2 months ago. Finally, what made me buy the LT right now is that there are so many people here switching from the LT to the new 1600. Lots of offers on a rather restricted market. So when I found a black 2006 with some 17'000 miles, I started to :dance:

As for the gotcha's, I think nothing fundamental changed since 2005, but I'm not sure.
Paul

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mike (from your profile...?)

Here's a quick summary of the changes, most of which happened in '05.

In 2002 the model incorporated the power servo assisted brakes along with ABS.

Power center stand
16 more HP
change in fork angle to enhance slow speed handling
LCD instrument display which incorporated a number of previously scattered gauges
Dual headlights
Tall windshield became the "standard" factory shield, and the short, the option.

For a bit of time around '07, '08 BMW included the Voice II intercom as factory equipment.
They also added the Navigator III GPS prep kit as an installed item.
For '09 they removed the Voice II from the standard equipment list. Late in the sales run a promotion paid dealers to install it for no additional charge.

Around '07 or '08 the Soft Touch < more plush> seat, became the standard equipment rather than an option.

About the same time the Zenon low beam went from an option to standard equipment.

Around '07 most bikes no longer came with the 6 disk CD changer in the right bag. Most folks with an installed intercom were using iPods by then.

Those are the main points as I recall them.

BTW....I'm one of the folks here that kinda prefer the early LTs. Brakes are less complicated, fewer gizmos to worry about. But, that said, the power center stand, better headlight, and often, an installed well integrated intercom can be great features.

Bottom line is any decent condition, affordable K12LT is a great ride.... :)

JD

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's a great summary.... Thank you as I am also looking at this time.

I had a 1999 LT LUX... That's with all the gizmos here in Europe.....

For me, the most important point you raised here is the increased head angle to improve slow speed manoeuvrability. Can anyone tell me what the before and after angles were and whether this made a significant difference/improvement?

Thank you

Stuart

Roamrider said:
Mike (from your profile...?)

Here's a quick summary of the changes, most of which happened in '05.

In 2002 the model incorporated the power servo assisted brakes along with ABS.

Power center stand
16 more HP
change in fork angle to enhance slow speed handling
LCD instrument display which incorporated a number of previously scattered gauges
Dual headlights
Tall windshield became the "standard" factory shield, and the short, the option.

For a bit of time around '07, '08 BMW included the Voice II intercom as factory equipment.
They also added the Navigator III GPS prep kit as an installed item.
For '09 they removed the Voice II from the standard equipment list. Late in the sales run a promotion paid dealers to install it for no additional charge.

Around '07 or '08 the Soft Touch < more plush> seat, became the standard equipment rather than an option.

About the same time the Zenon low beam went from an option to standard equipment.

Around '07 most bikes no longer came with the 6 disk CD changer in the right bag. Most folks with an installed intercom were using iPods by then.

Those are the main points as I recall them.

BTW....I'm one of the folks here that kinda prefer the early LTs. Brakes are less complicated, fewer gizmos to worry about. But, that said, the power center stand, better headlight, and often, an installed well integrated intercom can be great features.

Bottom line is any decent condition, affordable K12LT is a great ride.... :)

JD

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Close. The servo assisted brakes were actually introduced in the US 2001 model year, sort of. It depends on the production date on an '01 as to whether they have assisted or un-assisted brakes. '01's mfg on or after Jan1, 2001 have assisted brakes and have BMW cast into the brake calipers. My '01, mfg in Sept. 2000 has non servo brakes and the casting on the calipers is BREMBO. Just the way I like it!

A quick search on the forum will give you the pros and cons of each. I will gladly stick with the Brembos on my OLD 2001.

Loren

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, roamrider, if that's not already somewhere in a FAQ, it oughta be!

(now where to test drive a Pre and post 2005 model. ;)

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Also, the 99, 00, and 01 bikes were no linked or integrated brakes. Perhaps that is obvious, but just thought I would throw that in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Close. The servo assisted brakes were actually introduced in the US 2001 model year, sort of. It depends on the production date on an '01 as to whether they have assisted or un-assisted brakes. '01's mfg on or after Jan1, 2001 have assisted brakes and have BMW cast into the brake calipers. My '01, mfg in Sept. 2000 has non servo brakes and the casting on the calipers is BREMBO. Just the way I like it!
Loren
Loren,

Good catch. Thanks for the correction.... Since virtually all the other US BMW models, like the RTs, etc. had the servo brakes added in their '02 model years, I had that in my head as the "universal" change year.

JD

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Rocketsled said:
I've been researching LT's as my next bike, and what I'm finding (not unusual for motorcycles) is that there are a bunch of early models with low mileage available. (I'm looking at a 2000 with 14,000 miles on the clock, and anotheer 2003 with 30k)
There are lots of high mileage LTs around and there are also some really nice low mileage 'garage queens'. The key point to keep in mind is the service intervals and extras. IMHO a high mileage LT that has all it's service and high $ extras like Ohlins, and 'extra' service procedures like brake line upgrades and 'weep hole' drilling is a better buy than a low milage 'garage queen'.

Figure the costs of all the services that you need to catch up on, plus tires and that low mileage LT goes up in price substantially. That $ amount can be reduced if you do your own service. However you cannot ignore them.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Alcanara said:
For me, the most important point you raised here is the increased head angle to improve slow speed manoeuvrability. Can anyone tell me what the before and after angles were and whether this made a significant difference/improvement?

Thank you

Stuart
At one point I got a great deal on an 05 LT and still had my 03 LT for sale. When riding both bikes on the same day I could immediately feel the difference in stability at low speed, with the wobble almost gone on the 05. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
34 Posts
zippy_gg said:
At one point I got a great deal on an 05 LT and still had my 03 LT for sale. When riding both bikes on the same day I could immediately feel the difference in stability at low speed, with the wobble almost gone on the 05. I hope this helps!
It sure does..... Thank you

Stuart

·
Registered
237 Posts
pagl57 said:
Finally, what made me buy the LT right now is that there are so many people here switching from the LT to the new 1600.
Interesting comment. Any idea about a percentage of how many LT riders switched to the new 1600???????

I just can say, that most of the LT riders don`t go for the 1600 here in Germany.

They are happy with that what they have. Means a big Luxury Touring bike :wave :wave :wave

The 1600 sells pretty good in Germany.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zippy_gg said:

Did it make any difference at any other speeds? With sportscars, what's good for low speed auto crosses (fewer turns lock to lock) is bad for high speed stuff (makes for a twitchy car)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
High speed is not affected.

Looking at a 2000 with low mileage means that service was probably not done annually (mostly brake fluid changes each year as well as two coolant changes) so that means it has likely had only two service looks in 11 YEARS. Also that 2000 was likely made in 99 and the hoses were built in 98 which means they are all almost 14 years old and should be replaced.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jzeiler said:
Also that 2000 was likely made in 99 and the hoses were built in 98 which means they are all almost 14 years old and should be replaced.
Seriously? That's not something I'd expect from a lightly used car. While I know BMW lists doing several things annually for maintenance, they're not using magic fluids. It's the same brake fluid and coolant everyone else uses, give or take.

Or am I missing out on something...like the hoses are thin to lower weight? :confused:

ETA: The low mileage bike in question is being sold by a son, it was his father's, who passed away. It's in Colorado, so stuff like saltwater corrosion isn't a factor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rocketsled said:
Thanks, roamrider, if that's not already somewhere in a FAQ, it oughta be!

(now where to test drive a Pre and post 2005 model. ;)
Foothills BMW in Lakewood, had a 05 on the floor for sale a couple weeks ago. I bought an 07 LT from there in Aug. Good people to work with.
Just checked and it's still there. 35K on the mileage for 10,800. It's metallic blue.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FlyK12LT said:
Foothills BMW in Lakewood, had a 05 on the floor for sale a couple weeks ago. I bought an 07 LT from there in Aug. Good people to work with.
Just checked and it's still there. 35K on the mileage for 10,800. It's metallic blue.
That's still a bit steep. BMW of Aurora had one for $10,500 with 30k on the clock, Fay Meyers had one for $9k....KBB had them valued at $7000. :rotf:

I paid dealer prices for the last bike because it was my first ever and kinda needed some hand holding...I don't feel the pull this time, especially when there's possibly $4000 worth of blue sky in the deal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can find something in the 05 to 09 year model for around 8 to 10k with really low miles.I personally think those are good deals and if the bikes have bad tires and the owners don't have proof of services you can get them down a k or so then do the maintenance yourself to bring them up to date or at least get some peace of mind. It will be fun to ride the bike back up north after a purchase down here plus saving up to 4 thousand dollars.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
mechanic said:
You can find something in the 05 to 09 year model for around 8 to 10k with really low miles.I personally think those are good deals and if the bikes have bad tires and the owners don't have proof of services you can get them down a k or so then do the maintenance yourself to bring them up to date or at least get some peace of mind. It will be fun to ride the bike back up north after a purchase down here plus saving up to 4 thousand dollars.
09 for 10K? :confused:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Winghunter said:
Interesting comment. Any idea about a percentage of how many LT riders switched to the new 1600???????
I just can say, that most of the LT riders don`t go for the 1600 here in Germany.
They are happy with that what they have. Means a big Luxury Touring bike :wave :wave :wave

The 1600 sells pretty good in Germany.
Hi Winghunter,
I don't have any 'scientific' numbers, but:
1. I remember from the motorradhandel.ch website;
- early June 2010, there were some 12-14 LT's for sale,
- during winter: 15-17 LT's.
- in June 2011, some 19-20 LT's,
- in September when i bought mine, 23 for sale
- now (today) 25 for sale.
So the number of LT's for sale has climbed strongly this year and almost doubled since June last year.
2. From the 4 persons I contacted for buying mine, 1 was waiting for his K16 to be delivered and 2 were ordering their bike for spring 2012. The 4th one was stopping biking.

I would say the 1600 sells pretty good here too. But BMW Switzerland, during the last months, lowered the price substantially just to compensate for the sinking Euro. Too many people were importing their bikes from Germany or France...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts