BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help fellow BMW riders. 1999 K12000LT. Just changed throttle cables to the new and improved cables and now I dont have any cruise. Won't engage and light will not come on. I have zero slack in throttle, not binding very smooth action easly returns to no throttle position. Any advice?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
amsoilguy said:
Need some help fellow BMW riders. 1999 K12000LT. Just changed throttle cables to the new and improved cables and now I dont have any cruise. Won't engage and light will not come on. I have zero slack in throttle, not binding very smooth action easly returns to no throttle position. Any advice?
You need slack in the opening cable, or the cruise switch will be held in. Loosen the opening cable to allow about 1/16" slack minimum at the throttle grip.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I had problems with my cruise control once the cables were replaced. I finally got around to going to the shop and Fred, my tech, readjusted the cables. But more importantly, Fred zip-tied them into place, and I never had a problem again. I could see the zip-tie if I looked through the air vent of the upper left Tupperware (the honeycomb-shaped grill). I wish I took a pic, but I never did...sorry.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will check that. I adjusted the contols to the max point but it still feels a little to tight.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Make sure that the cables are snapped in the clip around the air duct in the right order. Can't remember, think the opening cable (the one attached to the cruise microswitch) goes on the inside to increase the slack to the microswitch.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Hi, John -- If you would like, I'd be happy to talk with you about the symptoms, and/or take a look at it this weekend -- I'm over by Fairfax High School :)

Let me know if you want me to PM my phone #s,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mark. Sent you a PM

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks also Chuck, It was one of those times when you need to slow down a little and put it back together right the first time before you think about the riding the darn thing. This is only the second time I have taken the plastic off since I have owned it, so with the members advise and the book I now know what to look for. Actually the book does not help because this is an up graded part from BMW that you don't know about until you go to get replacement part. Part only, no updated instructions. I also remember that there was and adjustment half way on the cable. This should allow an additional adjustment to free up the micro switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts