BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I Like PSI over bar in this instance and the reason is down to gauge resolution. It's a lot easier to get an accurate readback in PSI.
You could go down the millibar route, but that is going too far the other way.
PSI is just right from the point of view of nice round figures.
It is the same argument with MPG vs litres/100km. MPG just works better in this application.

I work in the science sector, and am very used to the SI system, but there are times when it is an ass.
I take the 2.6 bar and call it 26. Closer to PSI numbers but similarly you know when it is low or high but feel of the bike. Surely, it’s just a number which goes up or down. Like any other number - like the boiling point of water. If I lived 100 years ago in the UK then 212F works. Today it’s 100C. I don’t hanker after converting either, even if I could remember the formula (-32 x 4/9? Maybe) but who on earth cares? The present is now and tomorrow is coming down the track (a little faster these days).

For me the past has gone and with it the conventions of the past. I was the generation that grew up on imperial measurements and the then government (1968) decided exams had to be done in metric measurements. A rapid conversion ensued and I passed my A level in Geometrical and Technical Drawing with an Grade A.

i think it’s about acceptance and currency. I’d love to use farthings and tupenny and thrupenny bits but sadly there is no call for them. Bitcoin works for me better. But PSI is just a concept which people find it difficult to let go. Once you make the switch to Bar don’t keep going back because you grew up with it and you got it and you love it. I loved lots of women in my past but I’m married now. Always good to look back but don’t keep calling them. Confusion and shit will happen.

·
Registered
358 Posts
One of the reasons we still use PSI is you stop at any fuel station or garage and ask to borrow a gauge, there a very good chance it's going to be in PSI.
And that's with Canada being officially metric. My own kids learned nothing but the metric system and still use PSI.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Like Pat said it is very hard to find a gauge in bar in Canada. Mine's in psi. Even though Canada is a metric country the proximity of the US which is imperial creates a weird hybrid type of system.
For example,construction and cooking works in imperial in US and Canada.

Here's how to measure things like a Canadian...
Canadian measure.jpg

Reactions: Bighopper

·
Registered
999 Posts
I tried to find some threads on this, but nothing came up, maybe my search techniques are flawed. I just got off the phone with someone at BMW Motorrad Canada in which, after a bit of a heated discussion, I thanked her for nothing, and hung up. I have been trying since I got my 2014 RT to get the TPMS changed from BARS to PSI. The dealer has looked at it 3 times and each time they say they can't change it on any of the 2014 and newer RT's. The last time I tried was 3 weeks ago when I had new tires installed. Got the same answer.

I emailed BMW Mottorad Canada to find out if it was possible, or not, to do this change, and after 5 or 6 emails with no satisfaction, someone finally phoned me. Their response is basically that they don't know anything about the service and only a dealer could tell them. So, nobody can tell me if this is something to do with a software issue with the dealer, or if these bikes made for the Canadian market cannot be changed. I know I have read posts where some have said that they had their TPMS changed, but I think that was from US owners. I am asking any Canadian owners of 2014 and up R 1200 RT bikes if they have been able to do this, or if they have tried and can't get it done. I would take the bike to MAX BMW in New Hampshire, as it is only about 350 miles from me, but maybe it is something to do with the Canadian models. I know I had a LT that was a USA model and the speedometer could not be changed from miles to kilometers, but that is a different thing. An option on the computer that is supposed to give the reader information, should be able to be changed to the readout of the operator's choice.

My argument with BMW Mottorad is that most all gauges, air pumps, etc., register in PSI, not BARS, so I fill my tires in PSI, and have to look at the TPMS in BARS. Their response is "we don't know the answer", only the dealer would know that. The dealer says they don't know if it can, or will, be possible, but right now they haven't been able to do any new model RT.

I realize that the TPMS is not suppose to be used as a pressure gauge, but mine kept pretty close readings to what my pressure gauge read (on my 2010 RT), and it was nice to look at it once and awhile while on a ride, just to see what the pressures were at and maybe catch a slow leak early.

I would appreciate whatever info the Canadian owners could give me. I still don't know why BMW in Canada don't know anything about the bikes, or even understand what I am asking for.

USA, or other markets feel free to chime in as well, maybe someone will know something about this. Just bugs me that I buy an option that I can't use unless I dig out a calculator and try and remember the conversion factor.
Need GS911 to change, I have 2 pressure gauges that can be set to psi or bar probably got them at Can Tire

I tried to find some threads on this, but nothing came up, maybe my search techniques are flawed. I just got off the phone with someone at BMW Motorrad Canada in which, after a bit of a heated discussion, I thanked her for nothing, and hung up. I have been trying since I got my 2014 RT to get the TPMS changed from BARS to PSI. The dealer has looked at it 3 times and each time they say they can't change it on any of the 2014 and newer RT's. The last time I tried was 3 weeks ago when I had new tires installed. Got the same answer.

I emailed BMW Mottorad Canada to find out if it was possible, or not, to do this change, and after 5 or 6 emails with no satisfaction, someone finally phoned me. Their response is basically that they don't know anything about the service and only a dealer could tell them. So, nobody can tell me if this is something to do with a software issue with the dealer, or if these bikes made for the Canadian market cannot be changed. I know I have read posts where some have said that they had their TPMS changed, but I think that was from US owners. I am asking any Canadian owners of 2014 and up R 1200 RT bikes if they have been able to do this, or if they have tried and can't get it done. I would take the bike to MAX BMW in New Hampshire, as it is only about 350 miles from me, but maybe it is something to do with the Canadian models. I know I had a LT that was a USA model and the speedometer could not be changed from miles to kilometers, but that is a different thing. An option on the computer that is supposed to give the reader information, should be able to be changed to the readout of the operator's choice.

My argument with BMW Mottorad is that most all gauges, air pumps, etc., register in PSI, not BARS, so I fill my tires in PSI, and have to look at the TPMS in BARS. Their response is "we don't know the answer", only the dealer would know that. The dealer says they don't know if it can, or will, be possible, but right now they haven't been able to do any new model RT.

I realize that the TPMS is not suppose to be used as a pressure gauge, but mine kept pretty close readings to what my pressure gauge read (on my 2010 RT), and it was nice to look at it once and awhile while on a ride, just to see what the pressures were at and maybe catch a slow leak early.

I would appreciate whatever info the Canadian owners could give me. I still don't know why BMW in Canada don't know anything about the bikes, or even understand what I am asking for.

USA, or other markets feel free to chime in as well, maybe someone will know something about this. Just bugs me that I buy an option that I can't use unless I dig out a calculator and try and remember the conversion factor.
You need gs911 to change, my 2018 was already set to psi by dealer. I have 2 pressure gauges that can be set to psi or bar plus 2 more, think kilopaschal is one.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Like Pat said it is very hard to find a gauge in bar in Canada. Mine's in psi. Even though Canada is a metric country the proximity of the US which is imperial creates a weird hybrid type of system.
For example,construction and cooking works in imperial in US and Canada.

Here's how to measure things like a Canadian...
View attachment 170789
Looks similar to the UK’s metric/imperial confusion. It needs a centralized decision to go forward or move backward but betwixt and between is just lazy, confusing and downright foolish.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Everybody knows that the moon landing is a hoax... 😉

41 - 49 of 49 Posts