BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
have to agree with you! The fact is that what you want CAN be done by the dealer, and it is up to the dealer to satisfy the customer! The fact that the dealership that you have doesn't have the skill to do so is totally unacceptable! It is about time that you look to another dealer, if you have one not too far away. I suspect that Motorrad Canada isn't going to be able to help either, because they still have to depend on the dealership to do the actual work!
Share this post on Digg
Del.icio.us
Technorati
Twitter
| Like __________________
Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

I understand what you are saying and thanks for the input, but the closest Canadian dealer to me is in Quebec City, about 375 miles. Then, since I don't speak French very well it is a problem. I might find someone who can speak English, but Quebec City is very French. Montreal and area I would have better luck with finding English, but that is another 150 to 175 miles further. I would probably be better off going to MAX in N.H., 350-375 miles from me.

You say it CAN be done, but I have yet to hear from anyone in Canada who has had this done, and it is a long trip to wherever I go, to find out. It is easy for a dealer to say yes they can do it...that is what mine said the first time I tried, but to drive all that way and have the dealer say "sorry, doesn't seem to work for your bike" is a big chance. If I don't get someone in this country to say something more than "they don't understand my issue", or that I "should learn to adapt, or be able to convert the reading", I will have to keep pushing the dealer. But without me being able to actually refute the dealer's statement by having someone here tell me they have had it done, I don't stand much chance of convincing the dealer that they are incompetent. BTW, I have had no issues with this dealer for anything over a 10 year period with them.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I guess if it is possible they should put an effort into doing it for you, just that I look at it is it really worth ruining a day or two over. This may be because my expectations of TPMS are low to begin with, mine is in PSI but it doesn't reflect the reading from my tire pressure gauge so I just look at it as is there a trend in the readings not the actual number. I want it to alert me when stuff is happening but I still check the tire pressure every week to 10 days. Just on the last morning of a three week trip and I probably checked the pressure 4 or 5 times. When I first got the bike it bothered me enough to buy a better pressure gauge only to find it agreed with my cheap Canadian Tire gauge.

Gerhard
What year and model bike do you have? If it reads in PSI, did it come that way?

I know TPMS is not to be totally depended on for monitoring air pressure in the tires. But, past experience with the ones on my 2010 RT have found them to be spot on with my tire gauge, and a handy tool on the highway, rather than getting out the gauge, getting the wheel so I can access the valve stem, get my hands covered in the dirt from the rims, letting air out of the tire while getting the gauge positioned, and maybe having to get the pump out and add air again because I may have lowered the pressure. I just like the ability to change the menu on the screen, take a quick look, see that the pressure is close to what it was, and keep on driving, all without having stopped. I check the pressure every time I take the bike for a ride, and I realize the TPMS will alert me should I have a big drop in pressure, and maybe that should be enough, but I also want to be able to use it for the convenience as stated above. I do this with my truck, and the pressure readings on that system are very accurate as well. The only times these systems may get out of whack is if the person changing the tires doesn't do it properly and gets the sensor out of position. Everyone has different expectations of these TPMS, but I have found it can be more of a tool than just a warning signal.

Perhaps I am being a bit anal on this, I know years ago we never had TPMS and thousands of miles were travelled without concern. I guess it all reverts back to the fact I bought the option, it should work.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My bike is a 2012 model.

Just returned home from a 23 day trip, went to Minden, Ottawa, Quebec City, Gaspe Peninsula, New Brunswick, Main, Quincy MA, Vermont and home. Totalled just over 6,000 km so mileage record for the length of trip but it was mostly great despite some cool wet weather. Our longest day was 650 km yesterday, from outside Burlington VT to a Toronto Airport hotel. We tried getting a room shortly after coming back into Canada but weren't able to find anything in Kingston, Belleville finally got a room at the Airport Marriott.

Gerhard

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My bike is a 2012 model.

Just returned home from a 23 day trip, went to Minden, Ottawa, Quebec City, Gaspe Peninsula, New Brunswick, Main, Quincy MA, Vermont and home. Totalled just over 6,000 km so mileage record for the length of trip but it was mostly great despite some cool wet weather. Our longest day was 650 km yesterday, from outside Burlington VT to a Toronto Airport hotel. We tried getting a room shortly after coming back into Canada but weren't able to find anything in Kingston, Belleville finally got a room at the Airport Marriott.

Gerhard
Sounds like a great trip. I spent a summer in the Minden area in 1980. I was actually staying at the Stanhope Airport, close to Carnarvon. I was running a satellite skydiving operation at the airport for the Parachute School of Toronto, trying to get students from all the summer resorts. It never really panned out, only trained about 25-30 students all season. But had a great time. I had my 1976 BMW R 90 S at that time and toured all around the Haliburton area. Spent a lot of time at the "Foggy Bottom", but I don't suppose that local watering hole is still around. One of my most memorable jumps was when my wife, a friend visiting from Florida, and I, got a jump from the pontoon of a float plane into Maple Lake. And yes, the plane was flying, not just sitting on the lake. I think we were only at 5000 feet though due to clouds.

Too bad the weather wasn't great when you were in the Maritimes, we had a week here that we never saw the sun and I thought I was going to have turn the furnace back on. Now it's been 32 and humid.

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts

Perhaps I am being a bit anal on this, I know years ago we never had TPMS and thousands of miles were travelled without concern. I guess it all reverts back to the fact I bought the option, it should work.
I think that you are :), only in that you are waiting for somebody in Canada to respond with what you already know, from two other riders in "metric" contries (Au. and NZ) that what you want is technically possible and easy to do! You need to take that info and run with it, OR simply start using Max BMW. I understand that they are excellent!

·
Registered
429 Posts
My 2014 RT LC was delivered to me with PSI and L/kms. I just asked my dealer in Montreal, and it was done without any drama whatsoever. So, I guess your dealer is BSing you.

As for Motorrad Canada, I have never, ever, gotten any help from these lazy and incompetent people, be it by phone or by e-mail.

BTW, what exactly do you mean by «Next thing you know our bikes will come into the country with a French/English setup.» ?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think that you are :), only in that you are waiting for somebody in Canada to respond with what you already know, from two other riders in "metric" contries (Au. and NZ) that what you want is technically possible and easy to do! You need to take that info and run with it, OR simply start using Max BMW. I understand that they are excellent!
I totally agree with you, if other metric countries can do this, Canada should be able to. Proof positive it isn't, but it may be good enough. I won't be going back to the dealer until my 12000 mile service so maybe someone will add more to this before then. Guess all the Canadian riders are taking advantage of summer and are all busy riding and not looking at the forum. Thanks for the input, and I have also heard great things about MAX, and N.H. is a great ride from here and I have relatives there, but time to do it is the big issue right now.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I travel in Maine a lot, so all service stations that would have air pumps would register PSI.
IMHO I don't think that this really matters.

The gauge on garage pumps are inacurate and I always use my own gauge to check the air pressure.

Also, if you stop at garage pump while riding, your tires are hot and the recommended pressure has to be measured when they are cold. Not mentioning that you need to compensate if the ambient temp is not 20c

BTW, what exactly do you mean by «Next thing you know our bikes will come into the country with a French/English setup.» ?
I would also like to know... What's wrong with options?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
fyi - 1 bar = 14.7 not 2.7 42 lbs =2.89 bar
What I| said: "Sorry you don't get it. May be simple for you to remember bar values, not so simple in my opinion. When the bar value changes say from 2.7 to 2.6, 2.5, etc.,, what does that mean? I know the tire pressure has gone down, but what meaningful (TO ME) amount? It it were in PSI and my setting was at 42 psi, and the pressure changed to 41 I would know it has gone down by 1 psi and not a significant amount."

My meaning: If the reading on my TPMS moniter said tire pressure was at 2,7 bars, and it changed to 2.6, 2.5, etc., I would not know how much the pressure changed. But if my TPMS was at 42 PSI, which is what I set the rear tire at, and the pressure went to 41 PSI, then I would know I had lost 1 PSI. Just trying to explain the difficulty for me of reading that monitor when it shows BARS. The changes are meaningless to me, other than I know there was a drop. Sorry if I confused you with what I was trying to say. I did not mean to infer that 2.7 bars, or 2.5, or whatever was 42PSI, just using them as examples

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
IMHO I don't think that this really matters.

The gauge on garage pumps are inacurate and I always use my own gauge to check the air pressure.

Also, if you stop at garage pump while riding, your tires are hot and the recommended pressure has to be measured when they are cold. Not mentioning that you need to compensate if the ambient temp is not 20c

I would also like to know... What's wrong with options?
I would use the gauge to check as well and take allowance for temperatures, my point is that very few places use BARS as a unit of measure.

There is nothing wrong with options and if they put an option for English or French for reading the displays, that is fine, as long as I can change the readout to the language of my choice. If I had as much difficulty getting that changed as I have the TPMS and had to read everything in a language I am not fluent in (whichever it may be), than I would be very upset. I live in the only officially bilingual province in Canada, and the only province that recognizes the duality of the languages, and most everything here has to be in both languages. Not so in Quebec, where they actually have laws against English signage for example. I don't mean to throw the language debate out there, my only point was that if they have options on the bike to chose between metric or imperial, English, French, German, whatever....than it should be an OPTION...not set so that you cannot chose. This has been my question all along...can this be done in Canada. Finally someone says it can. The dealer may be at fault in my case, or it may be the software being sent to him from BMW Motorrad, but either way I will now be able to show the dealer that other dealers can do this.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My 2014 RT LC was delivered to me with PSI and L/kms. I just asked my dealer in Montreal, and it was done without any drama whatsoever. So, I guess your dealer is BSing you.

As for Motorrad Canada, I have never, ever, gotten any help from these lazy and incompetent people, be it by phone or by e-mail.

Thanks for the reply, I now know 100% sure that it can be done in Canada so I will take this information to the dealer and see what happens. I am not sure if the dealer is BSing me as I have always had good service from them. Either they don't know how to operate the software, or they aren't getting the proper software updates from BMW. I will call their service manager and talk to him and see if they can resolve their software issue, or their knowledge of it prior to going there for the next service.

For my explanation of the French/English option I will paste my reply given to Dann 323:

"There is nothing wrong with options and if they put an option for English or French for reading the displays, that is fine, as long as I can change the readout to the language of my choice. If I had as much difficulty getting that changed as I have the TPMS and had to read everything in a language I am not fluent in (whichever it may be), than I would be very upset. I live in the only officially bilingual province in Canada, and the only province that recognizes the duality of the languages, and most everything here has to be in both languages. Not so in Quebec, where they actually have laws against English signage for example. I don't mean to throw the language debate out there, my only point was that if they have options on the bike to chose between metric or imperial, English, French, German, whatever....than it should be an OPTION...not set so that you cannot chose".

I realize this may all be as a result of very poor service from dealer, and/or BMW Canada and not as a result of setting the option so it has to remain whatever it is set at. It would be so much simpler if BMW made their computer similar to what most automobiles are now. In my truck I can change all readouts, including speedometer and odometer from metric to imperial and back again with the touch of a button. I don't have to take it to the dealer for this.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I now know 100% sure that it can be done in Canada so I will take this information to the dealer and see what happens. I am not sure if the dealer is BSing me as I have always had good service from them. Either they don't know how to operate the software, or they aren't getting the proper software updates from BMW. I will call their service manager and talk to him and see if they can resolve their software issue, or their knowledge of it prior to going there for the next service.

For my explanation of the French/English option I will paste my reply given to Dann 323:

"There is nothing wrong with options and if they put an option for English or French for reading the displays, that is fine, as long as I can change the readout to the language of my choice. If I had as much difficulty getting that changed as I have the TPMS and had to read everything in a language I am not fluent in (whichever it may be), than I would be very upset. I live in the only officially bilingual province in Canada, and the only province that recognizes the duality of the languages, and most everything here has to be in both languages. Not so in Quebec, where they actually have laws against English signage for example. I don't mean to throw the language debate out there, my only point was that if they have options on the bike to chose between metric or imperial, English, French, German, whatever....than it should be an OPTION...not set so that you cannot chose".

I realize this may all be as a result of very poor service from dealer, and/or BMW Canada and not as a result of setting the option so it has to remain whatever it is set at. It would be so much simpler if BMW made their computer similar to what most automobiles are now. In my truck I can change all readouts, including speedometer and odometer from metric to imperial and back again with the touch of a button. I don't have to take it to the dealer for this.
I agree, it should be user selectable options, just like I set my gps. When I go across the border, I switch my gps to miles. Why can't I do that on my expensive bike? Why do I need a dealer or an expensive tool (gs-911) to set a display?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It would be so much simpler if BMW made their computer similar to what most automobiles are now. In my truck I can change all readouts, including speedometer and odometer from metric to imperial and back again with the touch of a button. I don't have to take it to the dealer for this.
I agree.
My friend can change his speedometer from kph to mph on the fly on his K1000XR.

It's strange that it's not possible on the RT.

·
Registered
124 Posts
As long as I don't get one of them RT/s whose computer has been configured to drive on the left hand lane...

Reactions: Iscadean

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
As long as I don't get one of them RT/s whose computer has been configured to drive on the left hand lane...
I think I've got one. Should I be worried? :surprise:

Ian

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Since the dealer seemed to be unable to do it on my R1250RT (Their computer was not able to compelte the change), I took my GS-911 and did it myself in a few minutes.
Cudo to Hexcode.

TPMS cluster.jpg

·
Registered
418 Posts
Always makes me smile. The whole world works in BAR and yet there is a small minority of the world’s population who keep looking backwards to a comfort blanket of terminology and a reliance on their conceptual understanding in only one way. Back in the day we had the Julian calendar...... Back in the day we had horse and cart......Back in the day we had pounds and ounces, inches and acres...... it still makes me smile. Can someone explain it to me - please?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I Like PSI over bar in this instance and the reason is down to gauge resolution. It's a lot easier to get an accurate readback in PSI.
You could go down the millibar route, but that is going too far the other way.
PSI is just right from the point of view of nice round figures.
It is the same argument with MPG vs litres/100km. MPG just works better in this application.

I work in the science sector, and am very used to the SI system, but there are times when it is an ass.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts